• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lapping my XP-120 and X2 IHS: Pics inside

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My instructions on lapping:

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=3876376&postcount=18

What I've noticed, on my stock P4 Cooler (very lightly incorrectly lapped on dry 400grit with water, it was a wood sanding sheet, but I put water on it =( ), is after letting it sit for a bit, the bottom gets VERY VERY dirty. There are black stains EVERYWHERE, and they don't come off with alcohol. Same with my IceBerq4, which hasn't been NEAR sandpaper. So i'm guessing that blotch is what is on my P4 cooler

LoneWolf, nice job so far, but you need to go back to some 220 or 400 sandpaper and get that thing FLAT. That is a small depression still in the middle and it took me a long time of low-grit paper to get mine gone. We're talking a few hours. My progression looked very similar. Here are pics from my experience:

Lapping after 30 minutes
Lapping after 2 hours
Lapping after maybe 6-8 hours

I recently took my the heatsink off my system and noticed the copper everywhere around where my IHS wasn't, was all darker color, so I took it to some 1200 grit paper for a few rotations and then it was nice and shiney again.

All of these lapping jobs are making me give into wanting to lap....I guess ill read around at the supplys needed, my temps are wonderful now but im hoping to wreak a better OC :D - Nice job man, keep us informed, im interested in your results!

kukyfrope said:
LoneWolf, nice job so far, but you need to go back to some 220 or 400 sandpaper and get that thing FLAT. That is a small depression still in the middle and it took me a long time of low-grit paper to get mine gone.
you know, I think you're right...take a look at the solid graph paper line that runs through that area (the big thick one)...is it just me, or does it curve off to the right?

For ppl that have lapped their sinks: When you're done with the 1500 and 2000 grit, do you still see scratch lines on the sink, or does it look perfectly smooth from all angles?

you can still see tiny scratches from certain angles, its never gonna be mirror perfect. but they should be VERY VERY tiny. take a picture for us to see, cause the question is a tad bit...vague.

Re: new 1,500 grit shots.

You're getting there. :)
The scratches you see are left over from the previous grits I'd say.
At this point cleaning after every few passes to wash away any stray particles
is essential. I use a spray bottle to wash both the sink & the paper, but a
running water faucet works too. Though more wasteful.

Looks like you rounded the edges a bit but that should be OK. Long as the contact
patch with the CPU is flat & consistant.

Susquehannock said:
Re: new 1,500 grit shots.

You're getting there. :)
The scratches you see are left over from the previous grits I'd say.
IDK...every time I change directions, the scratches change direction too, and don't go down in size...I'll keep at it for a while with the 1500, then move on to the 2000. Sorry this is taking so long, I'm kinda busy at the moment, and I'm trying to fit this project in with all this other stuff goin on...

LoneWolf, did you say you were using water as lubricant for your lapping? If not, you should start using it, I think it will give you a smoother finish and help get rid of some of those scratches.

Once my paper starts to get fairly dirty (usually after about 3 to 4 full rotations), I rinse the paper under mildly warm running water and then clean the bottom of the heatsink with a folded paper towel and rubbing alcohol. Using rubbing alcohol should also solve your "wiping streaks" problem.

LoneWolf121188 said:
IDK...every time I change directions, the scratches change direction too, and don't go down in size...I'll keep at it for a while with the 1500, then move on to the 2000. Sorry this is taking so long, I'm kinda busy at the moment, and I'm trying to fit this project in with all this other stuff goin on...

Don't change directions :D

yeah, but you're gonna need 30 minutes on 2000grit to get a mirror finish, at least.

Three more pics added to the first post. Almost done! I think now I'll move on to printer paper, then maybe just the bare glass to see if it'll help.

With the printer paper, should I get it wet like the sandpaper or not?

ohh yea, dont use TP/towels/paper towels to clean off the surface, you wanna use a coffee filter, it wont leave any residue as its lint free.

and no, dont get the printer paper wet, it will tear apart, and thats looking very good soo far. i cant wait to see the IHS

Three more pics added to the first post. Almost done!

Looking better. :)
As you've discovered, the more shiny it gets the harder to get an improvement.
A shiny mirrored finish doesn't necessarily equate to better temps though.

I think now I'll move on to printer paper, then maybe just the bare glass to see if it'll help.

With the printer paper, should I get it wet like the sandpaper or not?

I'd just use a worn out piece of 2,000 grit instead. Believe it or not, I can
get a perfect copper mirror that way.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
ohh yea, dont use TP/towels/paper towels to clean off the surface, you wanna use a coffee filter, it wont leave any residue as its lint free.

and no, dont get the printer paper wet, it will tear apart, and thats looking very good soo far. i cant wait to see the IHS
ooo, coffee filter...*goes off and looks for one*...good idea, thanks!

Speaking of the IHS, I don't think anyone answered one of my questions I had: What should i use for lube for the IHS? Water+$630 proc=bad ;) . If I'm really trying to sand down the IHS and make it thinner, should I start with like 120 grit?

im not an extreme overclocker. but im trying to decide if with a AMD 3200 venice if i would need a xp-120 or should just stick with a XP90?

either or will be lapped of course.

honhon said:
im not an extreme overclocker. but im trying to decide if with a AMD 3200 venice if i would need a xp-120 or should just stick with a XP90?

either or will be lapped of course.
Thread jacker!!! :D lol, jk. but it is usually best to start your own thread if you cant find one thats exactly relavent ;) .

The 90 and the 120 have very similar performance, but once you get started OC, I guarantee you will be pumping volts and be looking to squeeze that last 10MHz out of your proc ;) . if they are about the same price, go with the 120, if not, the 90 is plenty fine.

[EDIT] OMG, you have a 15 Mbps pipe to the net?!?! Why?!? How?!?! Better: How much $$? :D [/EDIT]

Nice job, this has gotten me interested in lapping my hs/f. With my TT extreme volcano12 i am getting like 48c load, how much would my temp dropped if i lapped it? Or in general how much does lapping help temps?

Back