• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lapping my XP-120 and X2 IHS: Pics inside

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
kukyfrope said:
2C is about what I would expect from a lap job on an XP-120. The thing is already massive and deals with heat very well.
if it deals with heat so well, why are my temps in the mid 40s? Granted, its better than most, if not all HSFs, but compared to water, its nothing.

LoneWolf121188 said:
if it deals with heat so well, why are my temps in the mid 40s? Granted, its better than most, if not all HSFs, but compared to water, its nothing.
You think 40-ish is bad for a CPU with 110W of heat? Think again buddy. Thats what I'm at on watercooling. Granted i'm silence based(first gen pressy) in my watercooling, and can probally do better. I still don't mind 40ish for cpu temp.

sunrunner20 said:
You think 40-ish is bad for a CPU with 110W of heat? Think again buddy. Thats what I'm at on watercooling. Granted i'm silence based(first gen pressy) in my watercooling, and can probally do better. I still don't mind 40ish for cpu temp.
yes, but intels can handle a little more heat than AMDs, i think. But yes, its not bad, but its also not great.

LoneWolf121188 said:

Some users on this board have used both water and XP-120 and the XP-120 was only 1-2C above a really nice water cooling kit. The XP IS on par with water cooling. If you're getting mid 40s on load at stock voltage, the problem is probably your ambient temp or your lack of case cooling.

kukyfrope said:
The XP IS on par with water cooling.

Sorry to burst the bubble, but the thing is that’s probably just the motherboard not reading temperature right. Or the fact that the IHS on the X2 is limiting heat transfer significantly.

Lapjob looks ok, so possible causes are:
- bad case airflow
- damaged heatpipes / poor heatpipes or fins mounting quality
- problem with heat transfer between chip and IHS
- bad sensor

Anyway 4x°C on dual core looks ok.

I had a "Micromesh" polishing kit for plexiglass windows (airplanes, boats, etc) in my shop and just used it today to lap the top of my new P4 3.4E socket 478 Prescott. The Micromesh kit has several sheets of rubbery sandpaper in grits of 1500, 1800, 2400, 3600, 4000 and 6000.

I began sanding with some 320 grit regular wet-or-dry to knock off the bulk of of the nickel plating, and some 400 to finish that up a bit more and remove most of the 320 scratches. Used water as lubricant. Then I progressively moved up the micromesh sandpapers until 4000 grit, then I stopped because going further onward to 6000 would've just been a waste of time. 4000 grit made the top of the cpu's IHS as shiney as a mirror. I wish my digital camera wasn't broken and I'd post pics because the chip looks so good, even though there is still a bit of nickel left on the middle of the IHS... evidently the top of the IHS was very uneven when it was made. I know it would've looked better to have all copper showing, but my goal was smoothness and I achieved that without having to put too much labor into it.

Unfortunately lapping this chip maybe only gave me maybe 1/2 to 1 degree lower temps. It really wasn't worth all the work, and it looks like I'm going to have to migrate to water cooling to keep this bad boy stable at 4.1+ GHz. It'll run pretty stable on air at that speed with the SP-94 heatsink, but two instances of FAH running drives the temps up to 63-64 C and the SP-94 just can't get rid of the heat fast enough. Idle temp is 50C which is high, but not untypical of a Prescott. The second I shut off both FAHs, the temps plummet from 63-64 back down to 50 in under 10 seconds so I know the lapping and the AS5 and the SP-94 are all doing their jobs the best they can... it just ain't enuff.

Back