• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

thermal compound...which to use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

casemodder

Registered
I picked up the XP-90. How effective do you think the compound that is shipped with it will perform? I do have some AS3 also or should i pick up some AS5? I'd rather not purchase more compound if I don't really need to. :shrug:

I know you guys will say AS5!!!

Honestly, use the AS3 you have until you run out...then go buy some new stuff. If there is a differance in performance at all, it is not night and day. Best case scenario is you lower your temps one or two degrees....hardly worth waisting a tube of AS3 over. The TIM that comes with the heatsink is easily compared to generic white thermal compound. Worth keeping yes, but if you have AS3 I would use that instead.

AS3 is very close in performance to AS5. There is no reason to purchase AS5 if you already have AS3.

casemodder said:
I picked up the XP-90. How effective do you think the compound that is shipped with it will perform? I do have some AS3 also or should i pick up some AS5? I'd rather not purchase more compound if I don't really need to. :shrug:

I know you guys will say AS5!!!

Like all the others, stick with the AS3 for the time being. Your wallet will thank you.

Back