• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Choosing the best brand

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
they are all the same cards, if they have the same clocks they'll provide the same performance. there are a ton of threads exactly the same as this by the way, and it boggles my mind.

crimedog said:
they are all the same cards, if they have the same clocks they'll provide the same performance. there are a ton of threads exactly the same as this by the way, and it boggles my mind.

Yep, I think the general consensus is -

If you intend to use the stock cooler get the brand with the best heatsink design. Usually Leadtek.

If you plan to use aftermarket cooling just get the cheapest one.

Go with Leadtek or BFG. The BFG OC has a higher clock than the Leadtek, but not as good cooling and you could easily OC the Leadtek to that level if you wanted to.

BFG Overclocks are a gimmick. You're paying extra for something you can do for free.

Hey man i just got that Alabtron 6800GT from newegg yesterday, when i have some time ill install it and then i can reply back as to how it performs

Matarael said:
BFG Overclocks are a gimmick. You're paying extra for something you can do for free.
I disagree. You are paying extra for an overclock with a LIFETIME warranty. This is not something you can do with other cards.

The thing about a LIFETIME warranty is that few will actually make use of it. What's
the average life of a gfx card? 2-3 years before upgrade? Probably much shorter for
most avid OCers.

There is also the 5 year statute of limitations on electronics to consider as well.

If your not a OCer, grab the BFG
If your not a extreme OCer, get the Leadtek
If your a extreme/modding OCer, get the eVGA

Reasons:
BFG is pre-OC, but any idiot can OC to that easily by moving the sliders, but it comes at OCed with lifetime warranty intact, if their not going to OC any further, this'll last for more then a few years.

If you just want to OC a little bit, like past the BFG speeds, the Leadtek will do best, since it has the best stock heatsink.

If your willing to buy aftermarket coolers/heatsinks, a regular eVGA is great for modding.

Rozal said:
Thanks, I'll be going with the evga. statis heatsink, and artic silver 5
Careful. AS5 is conductive and is not the best choice for a GPU heatsink. You can use it, I did out of ignorance, but you must be ver careful.

Capacitive not conductive, but this is sound advice. Something like Arctic Silver Ceramique would be a safer choice.

rseven said:
Yes, you are both quite right. I meant to say capacitive, but I got a nose job and now my brain doesn't work without glasses! :)

DON'T let it happen again! Or, or I'll... post more links to threads!

:cool:

Pinky said:
DON'T let it happen again! Or, or I'll... post more links to threads!

:cool:
Is that an "official" warning? I'm I on probation? Boy, I am bad! Good thing it's coming up on the cocktail hour.:)

I got my 6800gt today I put my atic silver 5 which i got alot of (5 tubes) and i used almost 2 , and covered the core completly now you cant see the core, same with memory,really all you see is the card w/ transistors etc and a bunch of silver domes in the middle. Talk about coo eh?
I forced my gt heatsink into the core and it got all over the card but who cares, more cooling. I was accualy thinking covering the whole card with as5 butt i dont have enough. I put it in my pc, it worked before and now I have no video. stange...help.

Rozal said:
I got my 6800gt today I put my atic silver 5 which i got alot of (5 tubes) and i used almost 2 , and covered the core completly now you cant see the core, same with memory,really all you see is the card w/ transistors etc and a bunch of silver domes in the middle. Talk about coo eh?
I forced my gt heatsink into the core and it got all over the card but who cares, more cooling. I was accualy thinking covering the whole card with as5 butt i dont have enough. I put it in my pc, it worked before and now I have no video. stange...help.
:welcome: to the Forum.
I am afraid you may have done some damage. Further up in this thread is a discussion of NOT using AS5 on Video cards because it is capacitive. You must take it out and clean all of the AS5 off the card with rubbibg alcohol. I would also take off the heatsink and take it off of there as well. If you don't have Arctic Silver Ceramique then use whatever standard TIM you have around. If you are lucky you may still have a working video card. Good luck.

Turns out I had enough to cover the whole card, i now its all a silver card, not green. still not working... Ill clean it off tomorrow.

Back