• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

does this seem right?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amanojyaku

i recently bought the bba x800xl agp edition card and ran 3dmark01. the score i got was like 18785 does that seem low or is it all good, or do i need to use driver cleaner on my comp and reinstall all of the drivers? Im also using the latest drivers.

Yeah, that does seem low if you had the settings all set on performance (I broke 20k with a overclocked 2.4C and 9700 Pro). Now 3Dmark2001 measures the whole system and I see you are using PC2700 RAM. If you are running at the 5:4 ratio, that might also hurt performance. Which 3.0 processor do you have? Northwood or Prescott? What stepping? Maybe we can maximize your O/C a little more. Other things to consider... if you had a Nvidia card before, then maybe you need to clean the drivers out better. Also, what Cat drivers did you install? Do you have the most recent DirectX update?

Well, what motherboard do you have? The link you provided for the RAM is for DDR2, but I suspect you have a regular DDR mobo (since they don't make DDR2 RAM in the PC2700 speed). Be careful, DDR and DDR2 RAM are not interchangeable.

Ok, that mobo uses only regular DDR RAM. Don't buy DDR2 RAM. Some PC2700 will O/C pretty good if you give them a little voltage. Don't give up on it yet.

I'd suggest running 3dmark03 or 05, 01 does not really show anything any more. My X700pro (about half as fast as your card) with an Athlon64 @ 2.7ghz gets about 22,000 marks, non overclocked. I'm willing to be that in almost every game, your system would smoke mine.

3dmark2001 is an old benchmark and it does not tell anything about gpu speed today because every new graphics card can runit easily so the CPU means a lot more than GPU on that test. Afterall it uses directx8.1.

I suggest that you use 3dmark03 or 3dmark05 which give your gpu something to do. I compared my computer with my friend who has same graphics card (9800pro on stock) and while running 3dmark05 we notced something interesting. There was almost no difference between our marks (50-100points) even though I had my A64 newcastle clocked to 2400Mhz with 1gig of ram and he had an AthlonXP 2200+ TBredB. with 512Mb of ram. SO we had a conclusion, that our gpus are pretty old and they were not fast enough for this test to run smoothly so they were an bottleneck.

In 3dmark2001 the difference was very significant (about the same as the difference was in Sandra's CPU arithmetics test)

Back