• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 53 or 4000+?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pyromuffin

Registered
I'm in a nice situation where I can get either of these fine chips for about the same price, I have a Watercooling setup and some nice ram, which chip would most likely yield a better maximum overclock? The 4000+ is a san diego core, I'm not sure about the FX's core.

A speedy response would be nice, this is a little time sensitive.

I would go w/ the 4000 San Diego. It seems pretty doable to hit the 2.7-3.0+ range stable from the setups I have seen around so far. The unlocked Fx's multi. vrs.the process shrink and SSE3 on the 4000 prolly helps the performance as well the E stepping supposedly supports faster ram modules. But as far as bang for the buck IMO right now I would go for the X2 3800 its only about $30 more than the 4000 if that helps any.

Of the two I would get the SD. The FX53 is a SledgeHammer core, is for socket 940 and doesn't have SSE3. But, if it's possible, I would get the 3800+ Manchester like the guy above me suggested.

TheNewbie said:
IMO right now I would go for the X2 3800 its only about $30 more than the 4000 if that helps any.

Who said:
But, if it's possible, I would get the 3800+ Manchester like the guy above me suggested.

What they said. ^ ^ ^ ^

If you have your heart set on having a slightly faster single core, I'd go for the 4000+, but a 3700+ would probably hit the same clocks, and as would a 3000+ and the cache difference would probably be unnoticable except when you look at benchmark numbers.

The FX is definitely 939, someone I know is selling it really cheap, but I hadn't even considered going the dual core route, I'll have to look into it.

pyromuffin said:
The FX is definitely 939, someone I know is selling it really cheap, but I hadn't even considered going the dual core route, I'll have to look into it.
I'd go dual core. For me I was down to deciding between a 3700 San Diego, a 3000 Venice and a x2 3800 Manchester. Decided on the 3000 Venice because they oc nearly as well (sometimes better) than the 3700 san diegos and its really a great value for the moeny. I would have gone with the x2 3800 if I had more money though.

pyromuffin said:
I would get the FX from the guy you know.

Back