• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Playstation2 + 2001fp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreIU

Hey guys, I just dug my PS2 out of some boxes this morning and I wanted to see what it would look like on my new 2001fp monitor. I hooked it up via composite, and I was quite dissapointed. The screen was too blurry, I am not sure what res the PS2 operates at, but I didn't think it would be much lower than 1600x1200 :shrug: My question to you guys is, if I buy an s-video cable for the PS2, would the picture quality increase at all? Or is there basically nothing I can do since the PS2 can only run at a given resolution?

Last edited:
Well, standard picture quaility/resolution is around 640x480. With that monitor, you are stretching it up to 1600x1200(native res). That is why it looks blurry. As for the Svideo option, it probably wont help. I dont think there is anything you can do.

dreIU said:
Aaawwww, I see.. That makes sense :) I hope the PS3 will run at a higher res.

The highest that it would possibly run would be an HD res. Maybe 1920x1280p best case.

{PMS}fishy said:
The highest that it would possibly run would be an HD res. Maybe 1920x1280p best case.

That's interesting, I should have a nice HDtv by the time the PS3 comes out :D The reason I am asking now is that I really don't have a gaming system anymore (I have a laptop and a power mac), so as much as I never thought I would say this, I sort of miss playing games :eek:

It also depends on the games, GT4 is one of the few games which let you come even close to 1600x1200..I think it lets you get 1024x768 tops. You can get the same by plugging in component...which I do with my 2405fpw, but it still doesn't look that great. Your just used to sitting further away...seeing console games on high res monitors sucks...that's why the hardware is so cheap compared to a computer.

Wicked_Klown said:
Ok here is the first one and here is the second one The second one looks to be a better choice. Ok I also found this whole page of them, hope this helps.

That's interesting, but the description doesn't really tell me what resolution it will run at, or how it will be able to pull that resolution. I honestly can't expect the PS2 hardware to be able to run smoothly @ such high resolutions, I mean, it has a hard time running @ the low res as it is. I don't understand what's in the box that would give the ps2 the extra horsepower.

Well, your problem is that you are using composite, s-video will definatly help some but the resolution is the core problem. The only way it will look good is if you figure out a way to hook it up via component (maybe a dvi to component adapter?) and you use a game like GT4 which can do 1080i. I don't think your lcd supports 1080i anyway.

A converter box won't really help you a whole lot, they will change the resolution but its kind of like enabling pixel doubling on a computer. It really won't look any better.

It might be the monitor? I have an ati tv wonder pro and my xbox is plugged into it. The picture quality is actually quite nice. The xbox res is 640x480 and when i play it at that res, the quality is better than on a tv. Of course its kind of small, so I usually play full screen. Even then, at 1280x1024, the quality is very good...It might be a lot worse at a higher resolution, but its possible that a tv tuner will help. A real solution to your problem (a bit costly, but it will work): Buy the component output for the ps2 and buy an ati hdtv wonder. The high-def output on the ps2 will guarantee the highest possible resolution (for that particular game), and the hdtv wonder will allow you to play it on your lcd. You'll be getting a much higher resolution with component cables, so it wont look as blurry. The only way to make it perfect is to get a smaller lcd. But when you have a 2001fp, there's no reason to do that ;)

Um... an LCD and a CRT are two different things. A CRT can be run with the same image quality at all it's resolutions, but an LCD has an "optimum" resolution, and it looks bad at others. Most LCD monitors (for computers) can't even display 640x480. Changing the signal from a composite to component to S-Video will NOT change the resolution. It's either going to be a bad quality image at 640x480 on the LCD or it's going to be stretched onto the 1600x1200 display. 1600x1200 doesn't divide evenly into 640x480, so each 640x480 pixel will take up a non-whole number of pixels on the LCD. Obviously, half-pixels and quarter-pixels etc. cannot be displayed, so you'll end up with a warped strecthed screwed up image. Your 1280x1024 dividies right into 4 pixels per 640x480 pixel, so while the image is changed, it's still in proportion. Even with something to multiply pixels, it's going to look strange on 1600x1200 (2.5 pixels per 640x480 pixel, some will be 2, some will be 3, therefore image is warpy).

petteyg359 said:
Um... an LCD and a CRT are two different things. A CRT can be run with the same image quality at all it's resolutions, but an LCD has an "optimum" resolution, and it looks bad at others. Most LCD monitors (for computers) can't even display 640x480. Changing the signal from a composite to component to S-Video will NOT change the resolution. It's either going to be a bad quality image at 640x480 on the LCD or it's going to be stretched onto the 1600x1200 display. 1600x1200 doesn't divide evenly into 640x480, so each 640x480 pixel will take up a non-whole number of pixels on the LCD. Obviously, half-pixels and quarter-pixels etc. cannot be displayed, so you'll end up with a warped strecthed screwed up image. Your 1280x1024 dividies right into 4 pixels per 640x480 pixel, so while the image is changed, it's still in proportion. Even with something to multiply pixels, it's going to look strange on 1600x1200 (2.5 pixels per 640x480 pixel, some will be 2, some will be 3, therefore image is warpy).
I don't really see who you are replying to, nobody said a CRT and a LCD are the same or that switching to S-Video would improve the resolution. His monitor obviously has some sort of built in upcoverter (because it has composite/s-video inputs). Granted, its probably not a very good converter. Lik I said, the only way to make it look better is to increase the resolution by using a game like GT4 and component cables.

kayson said:
It might be the monitor? I have an ati tv wonder pro and my xbox is plugged into it. The picture quality is actually quite nice. The xbox res is 640x480 and when i play it at that res, the quality is better than on a tv.
Vulcan said:
you are using composite, s-video will definatly help some
kayson said:
You'll be getting a much higher resolution with component cables

That's what I'm replying to, in case you didn't bother to read the thread. Resolution has little to nothing at all if anything to do with resolution. Just switching from composite to component will NOT change your resolution for you.

petteyg359 said:
Resolution has little to nothing at all if anything to do with resolution.
Uh.. What?

petteyg359 said:
Just switching from composite to component will NOT change your resolution for you.
I never said it would. Incase you missed it...
The only way it will look good is if you figure out a way to hook it up via component (maybe a dvi to component adapter?) and you use a game like GT4 which can do 1080i.

The fact that it looks so bad is because a low resolution (640x480 interlaced) is beign sent over a low quality conection (composite) to a high resolution lcd with poor upsampling abilities. Now, like I said the core of the problem is the resolution, but switching to S-Video would definatly help.

Last edited:
petteyg359 said:
Just switching from composite to component will NOT change your resolution for you.
I'm talking about the resolution of the game, not the lcd. Without component cables, the game cant be run at 1080i, so it runs at a lower resolution (640x480). When you use the component output, it runs at the highest resolution possible (depends on the game). That way when you play it on your lcd, there's not as much of a difference between the game res. and the lcd res., so the game looks better. It may still be distorted, but itll be a much prettier distortion :p

Back