Automatic updates messed Winxp SP2

I have winxp pro with SP2. And recent I went to see if there were any windows updates, and notice that automatic updates are messed up....

Not only that, but windows update page will not load.
    Q6600 @ 2.92ghz --- Asus Striker Extreme
    Lian Li V2000B---Corsair 620w PSU
    8gb DDR2 Patriot (4x2gb)---Samsung Spinpoint T 500gb
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme

My name is actually Phillip.

I myself don't have XP so I cannot check Windows update for you. Though, one thing thats worth trying is downloading SP2 from google, and reinstalling it. Also make sure your antivirus software is running. Some viruses I know do things like turn updates off. http://www.updatexp.com/0x800B0004.html may help you some.
    "Millions saw the apple fall, but Newton was the one who asked why." -Bernard Mannes Baruch

Mobo: MSI Neo2-V
    CPU: 2.8a Prescott @ 3.2
    PSU: Blue Storm 500 Watt
    GPU: Geforce 6600GT
    HS: Zalman 7000
    Ram: Kingston HyperX 1024mb 3200

It doesnt fail with an error, the website just doesnt work.

10 Year Badge
    Go to your services and set Automatic Updates to automatic startup, and reboot. Just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by hibner
    Go to your services and set Automatic Updates to automatic startup, and reboot. Just a guess.
    That should fix it. It looks like the Automatic Updates service is disabled, thats why the dialog is disabled.
    Herb: 2 x Intel PIII-S 1.4 GHz - GIGABYTE GA-6VTXDR - 1024MB PC133 - 2 x Tt Volcano 7+ - PCI nVIDIA GeForce fx5500 128MB - 60GB Samsung 7200RPM - 200GB Seagate Barracuda - 500W PSU - Debian GNU/Linux
    Wyatt: XP 1800+ @ 1725 (150x11.5) 1.85 vcore - Asus A7V266-E - 512MB DDR PC2100 - SK6 modded for Delta 80mm "SHE" - nVIDIA GF2 MX 400 64MB DDR - 40GB WD 7200RPM - 20GB WD 7200RPM - Generic 300W PSU - Load Temp: 45*C (Ambiant 22*C) - Debian GNU/Linux
    Moon: Intel PIII 1GHz - Generic Intel motherboard - 512MB PC133 - 7GB HDD - Generic PSU - FreeBSD
    Kaya (laptop): Sony Vaio PCG-GRT815M - P4 2.8Ghz - 512MB DDR - 80GB 5400RPM - nVIDIA GF FX5600 64MB - Ubuntu GNU/Linux / Windows XP

service is started, and set to automatic

Set these 3 services to automatic to get Windows Update to work

Automatic Updates
    Background Intel Transfer Service
    Cryographic Services

This should get windows.Updates to work once you connect to there site
    Board: Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Rev.1 F8
    CPU: INTEL i7 2600k 3.40ghz (Stock)
    RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB 1866mhz DDR3 (1600mhz@1.60v)
    OS Storage: Crucial 128GB M4 SSD (FW 040H)
    Spare Storage: WD 1TB Blue 7,200rpm, Hitachi 1TB 7,200rpm (Back-Up HDD)
    GPU/Audio: HIS 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card (OC: 920/1270)
    PSU: OCZ Fatality 750w Modular PSU
    Optical: LG GH24NS90 24x DVD-RW

those are all enabled and started

Could this have something do to with microsoft's new 'genuine advantage'? What happens if you fail the key check? Do you have a legal copy? (probably shouldn't say if you don't)

It's odd that it blocks the website itself. I wonder how they are doing this? Have you looked in the 'hosts' file? Is it blocked there by chance?
    Antec P180 - Corsair HX520W - Dell 2005fpw
    Opteron 165 <Currently 280x9 1.35v>
    DFI NF4 Ultra-D - 2gb G.Skill 3-4-4-8@250mhz
    320gb+200gb Seagate - XFX 6800GS 500/1.2ghz
    Sound Blaster X-Fi - BA7900 5.1 Surround
    Thermalright XP-90C - <The Quiet Overclock>
    [ HEATWARE ]

... i doupt your cd key is all to legit or how it suddenly stops working when ms gets there anti piracy thing going ....

Suprisingly enough, that is not the case. I pass the genuine advantage tests. This is the first thing my brother said when I asked him about it.

Quote Originally Posted by koss20100
    ... i doupt your cd key is all to legit or how it suddenly stops working when ms gets there anti piracy thing going ....
    That genuine windows test thing doesn't affect the auto updating anyway. You can install a fresh, legit, copy of windows and turn on auto update, and it will work no problem. You don't have to get that authentication plugin to have the auto updater work.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceRangerJoe
    That genuine windows test thing doesn't affect the auto updating anyway. You can install a fresh, legit, copy of windows and turn on auto update, and it will work no problem. You don't have to get that authentication plugin to have the auto updater work.
    Actually, you DO need a legit cdkey to be able to install SP2. When I try updating SP2, both using the auto update or going to microsoft.com, it pops up saying "Windows XP Service Pack 2 cannont install. The product key used to install Microsoft Windows may not be valid. For more information.."
    Antec P182 w/ 3 Yate Loon D1SL-12
    Intel DG965WH Motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    G.Skill 4x2GB DDR2 PC6400 4-4-4-12
    WD Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB SSD
    eVGA 8800GTS 512MB
    Asus DRW-24B1ST
    Corsair HX520
    Scythe Ninja w/Panaflo 120mmx38mm FBA12G12M

[Heatware] <---Or rather lack of heatware

10 Year Badge
    Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    We had several PCs at work that were not running windows updates, though they were set to automatically download. We use SUS to download them locally then the PCs are supposed to look to that server for updates. Problem was, many were not pointed to that server and our proxy blocks windowsupdate....so they had no updates. So turn off the proxy, run the registry fix (all PCs are SP1), and still no go. I had to look on another PC, write down all the KB#s, download the update files manually, then it worked. Coincedentally, it worked once I'd run about the 3rd update that I downloaded manually.....then it would download the rest automatically from the SUS server.

And yes, both SP1 and SP2 check the CD-Key prior to install. It will download automatically, but the installation should fail
    I can explain it to you, but I cannot understand it for you

honeybadger moderator smacks the **** out of people that cause issues in the classified section

Heatware: cw823
    Paypal: paypal @ cw823 dot com

Adak - My spreader bar was shaped using a pair of vise grips, a hammer, and the tow receiver on my pick up

Support your forum:
    http://www.newegg.com/

Quote Originally Posted by darksparkz
    Actually, you DO need a legit cdkey to be able to install SP2. When I try updating SP2, both using the auto update or going to microsoft.com, it pops up saying "Windows XP Service Pack 2 cannont install. The product key used to install Microsoft Windows may not be valid. For more information.."
    I realize my post may have been a little unclear. I meant that to get normal windows updates, it doesn't check your CD key, or check to see if your windows is genuine. It only does that for the service pack installs, which are seperate installers. If you looked at the pic at the top, and read the post, you would notice that service pack 2 is already installed, and it's just the updates that aren't working.

As to my "fresh" windows install comment, I assumed that SP2 came on the disc. I did the on a computer this past week. Installed windows, enabled auto update on install, and everything updated automatically as soon as the network drivers were installed. However, when I tried to download MS Antispy, I could not do so until I validated the install.

As to the problem, perhaps there is a problem with the .NET framework, or it's not installed.