• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Automatic updates messed Winxp SP2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RangerJoe

All that is Man!
I have winxp pro with SP2. And recent I went to see if there were any windows updates, and notice that automatic updates are messed up....

updates.JPG.png

Not only that, but windows update page will not load.

hibner said:
Go to your services and set Automatic Updates to automatic startup, and reboot. Just a guess.

That should fix it. It looks like the Automatic Updates service is disabled, thats why the dialog is disabled.

Set these 3 services to automatic to get Windows Update to work

Automatic Updates
Background Intel Transfer Service
Cryographic Services

This should get windows.Updates to work once you connect to there site

Could this have something do to with microsoft's new 'genuine advantage'? What happens if you fail the key check? Do you have a legal copy? (probably shouldn't say if you don't)

It's odd that it blocks the website itself. I wonder how they are doing this? Have you looked in the 'hosts' file? Is it blocked there by chance?

Suprisingly enough, that is not the case. I pass the genuine advantage tests. This is the first thing my brother said when I asked him about it.

koss20100 said:
... i doupt your cd key is all to legit or how it suddenly stops working when ms gets there anti piracy thing going ....
That genuine windows test thing doesn't affect the auto updating anyway. You can install a fresh, legit, copy of windows and turn on auto update, and it will work no problem. You don't have to get that authentication plugin to have the auto updater work.

SpaceRangerJoe said:
That genuine windows test thing doesn't affect the auto updating anyway. You can install a fresh, legit, copy of windows and turn on auto update, and it will work no problem. You don't have to get that authentication plugin to have the auto updater work.

Actually, you DO need a legit cdkey to be able to install SP2. When I try updating SP2, both using the auto update or going to microsoft.com, it pops up saying "Windows XP Service Pack 2 cannont install. The product key used to install Microsoft Windows may not be valid. For more information.."

We had several PCs at work that were not running windows updates, though they were set to automatically download. We use SUS to download them locally then the PCs are supposed to look to that server for updates. Problem was, many were not pointed to that server and our proxy blocks windowsupdate....so they had no updates. So turn off the proxy, run the registry fix (all PCs are SP1), and still no go. I had to look on another PC, write down all the KB#s, download the update files manually, then it worked. Coincedentally, it worked once I'd run about the 3rd update that I downloaded manually.....then it would download the rest automatically from the SUS server.

And yes, both SP1 and SP2 check the CD-Key prior to install. It will download automatically, but the installation should fail

darksparkz said:
Actually, you DO need a legit cdkey to be able to install SP2. When I try updating SP2, both using the auto update or going to microsoft.com, it pops up saying "Windows XP Service Pack 2 cannont install. The product key used to install Microsoft Windows may not be valid. For more information.."
I realize my post may have been a little unclear. I meant that to get normal windows updates, it doesn't check your CD key, or check to see if your windows is genuine. It only does that for the service pack installs, which are seperate installers. If you looked at the pic at the top, and read the post, you would notice that service pack 2 is already installed, and it's just the updates that aren't working.

As to my "fresh" windows install comment, I assumed that SP2 came on the disc. I did the on a computer this past week. Installed windows, enabled auto update on install, and everything updated automatically as soon as the network drivers were installed. However, when I tried to download MS Antispy, I could not do so until I validated the install.

As to the problem, perhaps there is a problem with the .NET framework, or it's not installed.

Back