• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

x800XL Memory cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fabo

Registered
So I am buying myself a X800XL agp. One Thing bothers me though. Because my whole rig is watercooled I want to watercool my new GPU also. Do I need to put some heatsinks on memchips because my waterblock does not cover them at all? Stock cooler does cover them though.

By putting the ramsinks on I have to either modify my blocks inlet/outlet, beacause ramsink will block it so I cant put the tubing on. :bang head

Another idea would be to build aplate that covers the memchips and the waterblock would come on top of it.

What do you say... Tell me your opinion about this matter... I would be thankful... :rolleyes:

I have sinked several of my cards without ever seeing any noticable improvement over the bare memory. You can sink if you like however I don't know if you'll gain much if any overclock by doing it. Personally I wouldn't worry about it. With good case cooling you should be able to get at least 550 (which is a conservative number since I can bench my memory up to about 590).

Yeah, I have had about the same experience. I put on the biggest RAMsinks possible one time (I cut up an old Socket A stock AMD heatsink) and only gained like 5 more mhz at the max on the memory. But those chips were freaking HOT, so even if I didn't get much more speed out of them, I got piece of mind knowing that my card wasn't going to have a meltdown. Even with my new 6600GT, there is no memory cooling, but I felt the chips just on idle in windows and they were suprisingly warm.

The area under the video card there is one of the worst hot spots in ATX cases so I like memory cooling just because I fell better with it on there, lol.

The problem is that I don't have a really good case cooling because I have tried to keep my rig as silent as possible. So I Have just one case fan blowing through HDs and the one in the power supply. HD fan is just blowing through the side of my case and the air comes out from the other side so it reallydoes not improve cooling at all. (except for the HD)

So in your case I would say some RAMsinks would definately not hurt. Even just putting a free standing fan sitting on the bottom of your case blowing air toward the video card and circulating the air so it can eventually get exhausted out the back would help.
THESE or THESE are both very cheap and would be better than nothing. Obviously the bigger the better when it comes to passive heatsinks, but for the price, it's hard to beat those two I linked to. I got the Cooler Master ones and they are pretty nice, they come with thermal tape too (although something like Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive would work a little better but is more permanent).

Well I had set of these on my 9800 when it was still on air, but I had to remove two of them because they were interfering with my waterblock...

So I quess I must buy new ones and mod my waterblock a little bit.

On other thought would some kind of plate which would cover both memchips and the core with the waterblock on top of it. Would it do the job...

I could also turn the block 90degrees to avoid the interference with the memsinks...

Too many options :shrug:

Just found this graph and thought it was interesting and kindof pertained to your situation. Notice that the memory chips on the ATI card actually run way hotter than the core with stock heatsink!! Even the 6600GT has hotter memory chips. So I wouldn't discount memory chip cooling too much :argue:
http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?cid=3&id=1678&pg=13
Temp2.gif

Maybe I'll just do some kind of cooling for them then. I just don't have the card yet. :) I have heard that it is pretty huge one. :p

I am just afraid if it will interfere with my chipset block on the mobo.

Back