• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a AMD Based Gaming NB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
you can get a dell inspiron 9300 with a 80 gig 7200rpm HD, geforce go 6800, 1.7ghz pentium-m processor for WAAAYYYYY LESS THAN 2g's

I've only put $1500 into my 9300 and it has (see sig for specs)

starting price $2110
$800 in cupon savings = $1260
2 gigs of ram from newegg $210 = 1470
pin moddable processor $162 = 1632
sell stock processor 150 = 1482
quick snap cover $29 = $1511

FUTURE STUFF...
Backlit keyboard LED MOD 30 bucks
Xps2 bios flash and fan+speaker LED's $5
put real carbon fiber over the plastic carbon fiber lcd cover $20-40
graphics card volt mod ($300 only if I break it) ;)
11 DBI wifi antenna mod $125
pacific design action II rolling backpack XL $50

all future stuff (excluding breaking graphics card) $250

grand total after all modifications $1786 And I will have the most powerful most modded most decked out laptop in my entire county. (well untill I mod my freind's 9300 that is...)

I really don't see any reason to go with turion as pentium-m laptops from dell are equal or better priced if you use on of those weekly online cupons. you just missed a 40% off about a week or so ago.

I also have this thing against all acer computers/laptops and all HP/compaq computers/laptops as every one I owned was a complete load of crap. I have a life time ban in effect and woulden't buy from them again if they where the only manufacturers in existance.

plus dell is just awsome... I complained about 2 dead pixels and they sent me an entirely new laptop (and they allmost frogot to have me send the other one back to them) :santa:

This is my 2nd laptop from dell and over the 4 years I have been with them they have been completelly exceptional in every way. plus I have a special extension # so I can get exclusivly native english speaking techs :EEK:

Why don't you check out the stickey at the top of the forum and see what people have to say about each company.

Last edited:
I got a Sager, works great as a gaming PC but the Pentium 4 gets hot! They recently replaced my 6800Go after I killed it overclocking. I would get the Acer Ferrari or an Asus rig if you're aiming for $2000, but getting a Dell is bad news IMO. Mine failed to boot properly after about a year of use, and tech support insisted that it could be fixed over the phone so they never gave me an RMA.

Unfortunately for me Dell or ANY Intel CPU is completely out of the question, regardless !! the Ferrari is still top dog at this point.........

Unless you've got some kind of health reason for not considering Intel, I would rethink my stance on the Intel processors if I were you.

I use AMD in my desktop computers and love them, but all the same I have realized that the Pentium M is one hell of a processor. AMD doesn't have anything to compare to it really; at this point Intel makes the best notebook processor, hands-down.

*deleted* sorry bout that... intel/dell fanboyism kinda broke out in full force there... I guess making my point once is good enougf. for what it's worth that is a killer system... just a little overpriced in my opinion... it reminds me of the xps 2 which is $400 more than the 9300 and all the extera you get is 6 led's in the vents and an extra 150mhz on the gpu core and 400mhz on the memmory.

Last edited:
Hey LET HIM BE.... if he wants to spend more to get less... let him.

besides if everybody got a 9300 then who would I be able to mock at that my laptop is better and more stylish and mine was 2/3rds the price to boot. you just can't touch carbonfiber, silver and "apple white" trim. i'm sorry but that red around the sides makes me wanna puke. when I put led's in here I'm gonna have them all white otherwise it will kill the extreme style goin on.

Consider this thread crapping, you will be reported to moderator unless you edit, your post. What is offending you so much about my choice.....I decide what I want to buy. Please reserve those comments to yourself.....Thanks

Slackfumasta said:
Unless you've got some kind of health reason for not considering Intel, I would rethink my stance on the Intel processors if I were you.

I use AMD in my desktop computers and love them, but all the same I have realized that the Pentium M is one hell of a processor. AMD doesn't have anything to compare to it really; at this point Intel makes the best notebook processor, hands-down.

(Note: not a fanboy post; I own and continue to buy Intel as well as AMD ;))

In recent benchmarks and daily use, my Atec Turion 3000+ notebook outdid two recently purchased TOSHIBA TECRA A4-S211 PENTIUM M 1.6GHZ.

The Turion chip competed well with the Intels in terms of battery life as well. (Note that differing screen sizes had some impact on this issue, but the Turion seemed to run cooler than its Intel counterparts with less fan noise.)

Granted, these are merely subjective observations (with the possible exception of the benchmarks) but the fact remains that in real-world applications on new machines, the Turion shone for me.

One other consideration was price. A comparable Intel notebook would cost at least 2 times what I paid. Given a broader range of options for Turion-based notebooks, I'd choose them simply for value alone.

ZDNet Australia did a fairly exhaustive review recently and found the Turion tops in performance. I find it tops in value and in my tiny 1.6kg ultraslim Atec notebook a solid performer as well.

I don't doubt that a 3000+ might perform better than a 1.6, but at least to me that seems a little bit unfair. From Sager, a 3000+ costs about $200-300 more than a 1.73 that had better graphics. But if you can find a 3000+ that is in a reliable computer with good warranty and support with a good graphics card, and that is cheaper than a Pentium M, then go for it.

Stuff about which laptop making company is good/bad is mostly based on personal opinion, experience. I had bad experience with Toshiba, and will never buy a Toshiba laptop again. But I cant tell everyone that Toshiba is a horrible laptop maker.
Thanks

Finally, I made the plunge, First of all, forget about the Ferrari, just after reading this http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/20050815/index.html
I made up my mind,... that 256MB 6800 ultra card seems to make all the difference, so I got myself the Inspiron XPS Gen 2

Full specs

Intel® Pentium® M Processor 760 (2 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)
$3,011.00

LCD Panel 17 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen UXGA Display with TrueLife™
Memory 512MB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz 2 Dimm 512MB2D
Video Card 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 6800 Ultra
Hard Drive 60GB Hard Drive
Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
Network Card Integrated 1 Gigabit Network Card and Modem
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0
CD ROM/DVD ROM 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer write capability8XDVDRW
Wireless Networking Card Save $20 Intel® PRO 2200 and Dell 350 Bluetooth Internal Wireless Card
Office Productivity Software No productivity suite - Corel WordPerfect word processor only
Security Software No Security Subscription
Primary Battery 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery (80 WHr)
Limited Warranty, Services and Support 2Yr Ltd Warranty, 2Yr At-Home Service, and 2Yr Technical Support
XPS Specialized Support Inspiron XPS, Specialized Support
Dial-Up Internet Access No ISP requested
Digital Imaging Photo Album™ SE Basic
Miscellaneous Award Winning Service & Support
Financial Software No QuickBooks package selected- Includes limited use trial

Dell Home Customers: Save 40% on select Inspiron™ notebook purchases $999 or more (before tax and shipping)! (affiliate only online offer)

Expires on 2005-08-22 10:59:59 - $1,204.40

Dell 720 Color Printer
Free Dell Color Printer 720 Qty: 1
Unit Price: $0.00
Dell Color Printer 720 Free Dell Color Printer 720
Hardware Support Services 1Yr Ltd. Warranty- Advance Exchange

ADDITIONAL DISCOUNTS AND COUPONS

Dell Home Customers: Free Ground Shipping on Dell Inspiron orders greater than $849! $25 handling charge applies.

Expires on 2005-08-18 11:59:59 - $30.00
Sub-Total $1,806.60
Shipping Discount -$30.00
Shipping and Handling $19.00
Estimated Tax $123.23
Total $1,948.83

The lowest Ferrari is going for $2069.00 bf taxes and shipping and the benchmarks for the XP2 are just evil. I could not let this one pass by

It interested visit the Dell website and use coupn CXFLV5J8Q4?LBV to have that 40% discount

The Dell XPS 2 is a great laptop. The Mobility 6800 Ultra is one helluva strong performer.

Being a Dell, the computer will come with a load of unwanted programs. Simply reformatting or going through it all and removing what you don't want will solve that.

If you want a litte more processing power, older 400FSB Dothans can be overclocked 33% (up to 533FSB) by using a simple pin-mod. Using this, some have gotten speeds of 2.4GHz to 2.5GHz. If you do this, you will want to reseat your processor, and probably your 6800 Ultra as well, with some AS5.

Their option for 1G ram was like $200, so yes I will order from the egg, just dont know if its compartible with these Dell systems.
I went for the small HD to save some $$ since I have that DVD drive or upgrade to a 7200rpm later....

mata2974 said:
Finally, I made the plunge, First of all, forget about the Ferrari, just after reading this http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/20050815/index.html
I made up my mind,... that 256MB 6800 ultra card seems to make all the difference, so I got myself the Inspiron XPS Gen 2

I'm really happy that you changed your mind :D

the laptop I was ranting on and on about is the XPS2's younger(but still very powerful) brother.

That 6800 ULTRA kicks some serious tail (especially if you overclock it). and yes it overclocks very nicelly(after a gpu bios flash)... properly tuned xps 2 systems can get 6000+ 05 marks

there is a HUGE WEALTH OF INFORMATION ON EVERYTING YOU EVER WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT THE XPS2 over at the notebookforums.
http://www.notebookforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=153

Last edited:
Back