• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vertical black lines

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheNewGuy143

So, i recently got a new video card and a new monitor and I have a problem. I always have vertical black lines, not only lines more like dropped shadows under everything. For example, the smilies besides this text thing have a shadow the little text scrolling bar as 2 or 3 little shadows to its right. And the text also has a shadow and thats pretty bad to look at. FYI the same thing happens in games with everything, not only text.
At first I tought it was the monitor and i tought it wouldnt change anything but i couldnt take it anymore, so i tried changing the drivers. At first i had the latest catalyst, and when i had them uninstalled to install the latest omega drivers I saw the screen was ok and there was no lines. But as soon as i had the drivers installed the lines came back. I currently have no drivers and its great. Ill try older drivers right now, if someone knows what i could do please help.
Btw I tried the monitor with another computer and its A-OK.
TheNewGuy

Fighter2a said:
So it's your monitor then.

I think you meant video card. It's possible something is dying or overheating and that causes problems when the drivers are loaded, as it uses features that the generic Windows driver doesn't.

After testing some more, I think it's the monitor. Because If i set it to 800*600 at a low refresh rate the problem isnt there, but any higher resolution and refresh rate gives me the problem.

Your problem can also be caused by a bad or cheap monitor cable .

Ive done tests on this before , and found may visual issues come from bad (old) or cheap monitor cables . Try swapping out your cable (if anothers available) and see if theres any improvement .

Last edited:
Ohh I understand what you mean, you have ghosting (at least what I'd call it). Like an image has an image superimposed over it (slightly off) with another (slightly off). I've only noticed this on cheap monitors. So it's more than likely not your video card then.

TheNewGuy143 said:
well, the monitor is pretty good(sony g520p) but the cable is super cheap so that may be it, ill try another one.
Thanks for the tips.

Yeh , I just tested out my 3 extra monitor cables again ....

Two cables are high quality and one is a dirt cheapy .... the cheapy one DEFINITLY causes bad ghosting , blury text , color loss , etc. verses the the two quality cables . This was tested on my IBM 21" P260 2.4 APG monitor , which is a Sony tube .

Back