• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sunbeam to make a knockoff of the mCubed T-Balencer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mjw21a

Check this out. Sunbeam is going to make yet another knockoff of someone else's product with their not yet released Theta TP101 software controlled fan speed controller.

I'm not complaining as I've wanted to get a T-Balencer for ages but wasn't willing to pay the $100 Australian for it. Knowing Sunbeam this will probably sell for $30-$40 Australian thereby bringing it into my price range.

There both USB & PCI versions of the T-Balancer available too. You can check out a review of the original T-Balancer here at Silent PC Review. I'm expecting the Sunbeam product to be both cheaper and just as good. :cool:

Last edited:
It may be a knock off, but its still Sunbeam. Im certinaly not complaining. Sunbeam is the best controller money can buy right now.

I'm not suggesting that it's inferior in any way. The reason I was posting this is that they're likely bringing a product that I've wanted for over a year into the price range that I'm willing to pay for it. In short: I WANT ONE! :p

I'll be buying one. I am always up for an upgrade.

Rozal said:
Sunbeam has the worst support in the world.

I have never had any problems with sunbeam products. Besides, the fan controllers are like $20 if you want to buy a new one. If I have a problem and can't get it resolved, I'll just buy a new one. People around here buy $200+ processors like they are candy. I don't think most would complain about $20.

I love my T-Balancer, best money I have ever spent on my computer.

Don't know about the sunbeam controller, but the T-Balancer itself controls the fans, based on thermal sensors, and doesn't required to be be plugged into the USB or anything, once its set, you can just forget it, taking no resources.

One thing I like about the t-balancer is how you can put an analog sensor under the cpu and get "accurate temps". The extender also has an inline atx connector so that if your computer starts to overheat you dont have to worry about your MB actually shutting it off. Often when the MB shuts it off the CPU is already toast. It will trip the atx switch itself and shut your computer down.

JT

JTanczos said:
One thing I like about the t-balancer is how you can put an analog sensor under the cpu and get "accurate temps". The extender also has an inline atx connector so that if your computer starts to overheat you dont have to worry about your MB actually shutting it off. Often when the MB shuts it off the CPU is already toast. It will trip the atx switch itself and shut your computer down.

JT

Also if you have the water flow meter, it will shut the compuet off if the pump dies.

Lets see the sunbeam to that :D

I say whats wrong with a little competition! Its about time somebody stepped up to the plate to make an affordable "knockoff" of the t-balancer. The T-balancer is too much for my tastes so, *hopefully* this will be affordable.

Way to go sunbeam!! :clap:

millhouse said:
I say whats wrong with a little competition! Its about time somebody stepped up to the plate to make an affordable "knockoff" of the t-balancer. The T-balancer is too much for my tastes so, *hopefully* this will be affordable.

Way to go sunbeam!! :clap:

My thoughts exactly. I love the features and capabillity of the T-Balancer, however I can't afford to buy it due to it's high cost.

Sunbeam will likely do what they usually do: create a high quality but still cheap knockoff of their competitors product.

I'm looking forward to buying the new Theta TP101 when its released! :p

lowfat said:
Also if you have the water flow meter, it will shut the compuet off if the pump dies.

Lets see the sunbeam to that :D

Considering that they're just copying the mCubed product I don't really see why they'd leave out great features like that do you? Selling the add on bits is what makes this component so much more profitable that a regular rheobus fan controller. :shrug:

lowfat said:
I love my T-Balancer, best money I have ever spent on my computer.

Don't know about the sunbeam controller, but the T-Balancer itself controls the fans, based on thermal sensors, and doesn't required to be be plugged into the USB or anything, once its set, you can just forget it, taking no resources.

I thought I was the one who recommended it to you here at OCF anyways :p

Right on, now I can get rid of my old sunbeam controller and its blinding LED's. I hope this product has all the same features, as I am sure if it does it will sell rather well.

What I would like to know is when these guys are going to start making some of these fancy products Linux-friendly....

"Software controlled" is great...IF you can run the software on your computer.

For now I'll be sticking with old-fashioned hardware methods. ;)

Maybe Sunbeam will see the light, :D

rogerdugans said:
What I would like to know is when these guys are going to start making some of these fancy products Linux-friendly....

"Software controlled" is great...IF you can run the software on your computer.

For now I'll be sticking with old-fashioned hardware methods. ;)

Maybe Sunbeam will see the light, :D

Well, if it's like the mCubed product then you'll only need the software to configure it. Once configured the T-Balancer is entirely hardware controlled.

If they're smart enough they'll write everything in JavaScript so it can be configured from any platform. :cool:

mjw21a: it's more than just writing something in javascript, you need the api layer so that the javascript commands are translated into hardware commands, and it's usb, that means a kernel module.

boardboyd said:
mjw21a: it's more than just writing something in javascript, you need the api layer so that the javascript commands are translated into hardware commands, and it's usb, that means a kernel module.

I'm afraid I don't understand how things are programmed too well as I'm not a programmer myself. I just assumed this would be possible in Java just like configuring a NetGear DG834 modem/firewall/router for example....

Apparently not..... :shrug:

Electron Chaser said:
This is great news I know I will be picking one of these up. That is provided they have all the bells and whistles as the T balancer.

I'm hoping this is the case also. :cool:

Back