• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crossfire with PCI-e & AGP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

homer77

I was reading the 7800GT softmod on the site then I stumbled onto this (sorry, it's all in traditional chinese)

It's very interesting how they are able to get crossfire working between PCI-e and AGP card. I know the score is not impressive at all, but I do find it very interesting. :p

What is that riser card I see in one of the pics? Also, this might be an incredibly great deal for people who currently own AGP X800's and X850's, making upgrading to pci-e very beneficial.

the riser card is used to split a 16x pci-e into two 8x pci-e card, which i don't see the purpose cuz the combine bandwidth is still 16x.

however, if they can get pci-e and agp to work together nicely then it mite be worth doing. right now the side couldn't get it to work stable thats why the 3dmark scores are so low.

Yuriman said:
What is that riser card I see in one of the pics? Also, this might be an incredibly great deal for people who currently own AGP X800's and X850's, making upgrading to pci-e very beneficial.

I think they used the riser card to connect two PCI-E cards to Uli Chipset based mobo which had only one 16XPCI-E slot and they ran the cards in crossfire. :attn: This is as much as I could understand from very crappy babelfish translation. :(

Hold on a second... this is a complete threadjack (sorry), but babelfish... isn't that from the Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy? I have used babelfish for years and never noticed. :beer:

homer77 said:
the riser card is used to split a 16x pci-e into two 8x pci-e card, which i don't see the purpose cuz the combine bandwidth is still 16x.

But 16x pci-e is like 32x agp. And the top end cards are still released on agp with no performance difference, so this is good.

Quailane said:
But 16x pci-e is like 32x agp. And the top end cards are still released on agp with no performance difference, so this is good.
say what?
PCI-E is double the bandwidth of AGP 8X so i dont know how you get 32x when 2 X 8 = 16. Also that PCI-E doesnt show the performance boost is because software hasnt taken advantage of the extra bandwidth. Anyways, this agp and PCI-E sounds kinda strange - so that would mean mod'ing a PCI 8X slot into a true PCI-E16x on a AGP 8x mobo? i would just get a SLI or Crossfire board with 2 PCI-E 16X slots to be future-rdy for the next few (probly 5-10) years since it takes the industry quite a bit of much time to gear up. (it took 10 years for the industry to gear up from 16 bit proccessors to 32bit FYI)

Yuriman said:
Hold on a second... this is a complete threadjack (sorry), but babelfish... isn't that from the Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy? I have used babelfish for years and never noticed. :beer:

Yea I think it is. :rolleyes: Just noticed it my self also. Good to see some other people reading "The Guide".:beer:

(By the way the Finnish translation sucked but the original English version ROCKED :p)

Back