• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

out with the 9800?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rooster098

Registered
i have a 9800pro (128mb) and have recently bought a 19" tft that has forced me to use 1280x1024 resoloutions. im starting to see a bit of strain on the fps as a result, and am contemplating getting a new graphics card. i was thinking about spending round £200 and think the x800 xl looks pretty good. my question is whether you think the performance increase is worth the money? do you think i will see a vast improvement? i tend to play with high settings (not usually fsaa) on fps games.

If you can afford to get a new card, go for it. I can't really tell if you think its worth it, but you will have to upgrade eventualy anyway. It might be a better idea to upgrade your cpu too, save up a bit more and make the jump to pci-express. My 2nd pc is a 2600-M overclocked to 2.5ghz, and it is just as much limiting as the video card in some games.

You will see an increase, but to be honest, if you don't play with FSAA on, get another 512Mb of RAM first. 9800Pro's are still good cards, the extra memory will help you out more at the moment (and you'd be better with a faster CPU too if you're going to upgrade your graphics card).

yea. i think you shoudnt wast money on a gpu if ur processor is limiting the gpu to work at full speed (bottleneck). i suggest u want a year or 2. then buy a whole new pc. i bet u wont see improvement with a x800xl :)

for that cash, get a good amd64 proc. I'm not sure about the exchange rate but with 2oo pounds u should be able to get a venice core 3800. Sell your proc and mobo for a 939. The only problem now is PCI-e. You could find a 939 board with agp for your 9800. Damn, sooner or later you gotta switch all those parts, because they've all been replaced with new technologies. (And if your selling your 9800, lemme know :D)

Back