• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Holy @#!$ 64C!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yoshpop

I was playing BF2 and noticed I was using over a gig of ram so I put in my old 2x512 set to have 2 GB ram. I booted back up and bf2 froze so I loosened the mem timings even more; however it still froze. I turned the computer off and went out for a while. I just now came home and took the 1gb set out so it was just my ocz platinums. BF2 still continued to freeze on me and I had the timings more relaxed than before so I assumed the memory was just overheating. Once it froze again at 2.5-3-3-6 @ 233mhz I realized something was up so I go into the bios and check out temps to make sure nothing is off and I see my venice is running at 64C!!. I thought it was a mistake and my bios was going bad but I also noticed my freezer64 was running at 0 RPMs so I immediately checked the fan and the extra cord to the 20+4 pin connector on my powerstream520 had gotten moved during the ram switch and was blocking the fan from spinning! I'm suprised this little thing held up because the maxtemp (See the maxtemp venice thread) is rated at 55c

THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH BF2 I SWEAR IT.. it cause my dads computer to do the same.. its ****ed up.. i think its the direct x 9.0c it installs.. cause it freezes my css when i isntall bf2

BF2 runs awesome on my system and I never have problems with it. I just had a long session of it today and and it ate all my physical ram. The problem with it freezing was because the fan wasn't running :)

You got really lucky, and i am very suprised that it only got to 65. that is actually really good considering what could have happened...........

matttaylor said:
You got really lucky, and i am very suprised that it only got to 65. that is actually really good considering what could have happened...........

[begin n00b]
that reminds me of when i got my xp-120 and my nude winnie 3000+. the xp-90 reaching nude chips without any mods, but the xp120 doesn't! I had NO HS contact and turned on my machine. It shut down in 2 seconds. I tried it like 3 times and figured something must be wrong. checked my contact on the new xp-120 and it was clean, no AS5 from the core!!! :bang head

I quickly modded my HS retention bracket and made sure it was making good contact. Fired it up and all was safe...
It's amazing what these a64 proc can take... LOL... :cool:
[/end n00b]

I thought the hardware kill temp for a Venice was 70c, inwhich the CPU shuts itself down to protect itself from a burnout...? Dont quote me that cause I have no idea where I heard that.

There is something very wrong with Battlefield 2. I was at a LAN Party the other day and a handful of people, myself and a friend included, couldnt get the stupid game to run reliably. Here's how one of the people at the LAN put it: "EA got DICE, and DICE knows how to make a game that people want... but EA just doesnt have a clue when it comes to the engine to run it on!" If everyone recalls, Battlefield 1942 was horribly glitchy when it first came out, and then there's other EA titles such as Command & Conquer Generals / Zero Hour - those two games are by far the most glitchy games that I have ever seen! EA just doesn't know how to make a game that runs right! *besides Medal of Honor: my all-time favorite game* ^_^

Just wait for the 9 million patches, and then BF2 should be okay.

[Threadjack]
I and my 2 best friends all own Zero Hour, and none of us have ever had a problem. I probably have several hundred hours into that game. What kind of problems are you refering to?
[/Threadjack]

I think most people have problems with BF2 because they have instability of some sort, somewhere. Out of 5 pc's I've installed the game on, it runs flawlessly on all of them.

BUT... It could be CD related. My first copy of XP-Pro would NOT run with service pack 2, it had tons of glitches and errors. I tried slip-streaming, installing right away, and waiting a week, and every time it killed the OS. I got another copy of XP and it runs perfectly, on the same pc, with SP2.

The problems I am refering to - hum, let's see, it's hard to remember because we kind of gave up on the game, lol. Mostly it was strange instability, such as random crashes, inability to load, sometimes it would detect that the wrong directx version was installed, sometimes when it seemed to behave and we got optimistic and loaded into a 4-player multiplayer map (our problems were all in multiplayer mode by the way) one or more of the players would spontaneously combust... lol, i know that sounds impossible, but their entire base would just explode as though they surrendered. It made no sense at all, and was very frustrating... Oh yes, and sometimes it would say that the game has detected that not all the players were running the same version of the game.

lol...oh those wonderous, beautiful b@stards at EA... Everyone loves their steamy piles of cr@p... Battlefield 2's main problem, for us, was that it would *hang* (what would seem like a sudden framerate drop), and then the textures would be ripped off the models and the wireframes of things would become visible.

Back