• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replacement TT Xaser 3 Case fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jojowaste

Hey everyone. Well this weekend I reformatted my PC and noticed that my cpu temp was running around 88C at one point. I never had installed a temp monitoring program so i never really noticed. After doing some research it seems that my cpu temp is too high. In my case (TT Blue Xaser 3) there's an intel 3.2,6 HD's, 2 CD roms, 2 Floppy's, silent purepower 480w (if i remember correctly), bfg 6800gt vid card & and the fan control that came with the case (4 fans). I decided to help the heat issue i'm gonna upgrade the cpu fan and gpu fan to a ZALMAN VF700 ALCU VGA CARD COOLER and a Zalman CPU Cooler 7700. I also have Artic Silver 5 for the thermal compound and rounded cables coming in for all connections. Last but not least I'm gonna cut out the fan grills as shown in one of the threads on this board.

One thing that I was wondering is, should I upgrade the 7 case fans that came with maybe the TT Smart Fan 2's? Or any better suggetions? And would i be able to use the fan control that came with the case with those or any other suggested?

Any other suggestions on how I might possibly might be able to drop the temp a little would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I have the exact same case as you (except mine is the one painted Black).
Before I made the change to watercooling I was using all the fans that came with the case and heat was never a problem (only the dammed noise). In my opinion, change the Heatsink+fan on your CPU as that may well be the weak link.

Thanks for the reply hopefully that will help the most. I forgot to mention one thing, i leave my computer on all day, everyday. Should I invest in some type of ram cooling mechanism. I'm just looking for the best way to keep my PC stable and longer lasting.

jojowaste said:
Thanks for the reply hopefully that will help the most. I forgot to mention one thing, i leave my computer on all day, everyday. Should I invest in some type of ram cooling mechanism. I'm just looking for the best way to keep my PC stable and longer lasting.

The best way to cool ram is to put an 80mm fan over it.

BTW: Welcome to the OC Forums!

archilochus said:
Here's a link to my rigs site.. There are 3 pages of pics if you'd like to see the diff. things I did to my Xaser III..
Upgrading the stock fans is a must IMHO. I changed all of mine over to 92mm fans and still use the stock fan controller. (Hardcano 9)

http://groups.msn.com/MOBYSHOME/shoebox.msnw

That's actually the pics i was gonna go by as I did the metal clipping. What kind of fans did you use to replace the stock ones.

& millhouse thank you for the welcome. Should I setup the 80mm fans on the ram chips with the air going towards or away from the chips?

What kind of fans did you use to replace the stock ones.

These are NMB 92mm case fans I got at www.directron.com for $1.00 each..

NMB 3610KL-04W-B40 = 47.67 CFM @ 2850 rpm/ 37.5 dBA.. 0.28 amps

I bought 6 of them and gutted 1 for a spacer on my HS... (SP-94)

So 2 for intake, 2 for exhaust(rear) and 1 for the top blow hole..
I did away with the stock side fan setup and use the upper hole for a passive intake to the HSF.. The lower hole is covered up.. :)

jojowaste said:
& millhouse thank you for the welcome. Should I setup the 80mm fans on the ram chips with the air going towards or away from the chips?

The fans should blow on the ram, and your welcome. :)

archilochus said:
These are NMB 92mm case fans I got at www.directron.com for $1.00 each..

NMB 3610KL-04W-B40 = 47.67 CFM @ 2850 rpm/ 37.5 dBA.. 0.28 amps

I bought 6 of them and gutted 1 for a spacer on my HS... (SP-94)

So 2 for intake, 2 for exhaust(rear) and 1 for the top blow hole..
I did away with the stock side fan setup and use the upper hole for a passive intake to the HSF.. The lower hole is covered up.. :)

I purchased 6 of those fans and was gonna try to install them today but I was just wondering before I ripped my case open, did you have to modify the fans or the case in any way for them to fit?

I purchased 6 of those fans and was gonna try to install them today but I was just wondering before I ripped my case open, did you have to modify the fans or the case in any way for them to fit?

If you bought the 92mm fans the case will have to be modded. Meaning the fan holes will have to be cut larger. :)

This thread might help you out!

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=270542

Well actually worked on the rig this weekend (thank yo so much to everyone that replied).

5 NMB 3610KL-04W-B40 = 47.67 CFM @ 2850 rpm/ 37.5 dBA.. 0.28 amps
fans in.
Zalman CNPS7700-cu heatsink/fan in for vid card
Zalman VF700-AICu heatsink/fan in for gpu card
2 Aluminum Heatspreaders on ram

So far from the looks of it not breaking 50c on full load on cpu. And so far haven't broken 65c on vid card. Stil have 2 extra nmb fans (bought 8 just in case). Tomorrow i wanna fit a fan over the ram. Also gonna have to run out and get some y splitters for power adapters cause I have seemed to run out. I have a 480w thermaltake PS. Also put in all new rounded cabling. I hope to have pics 2morrow.

Now a question, would it be a good idea to set up one of those extra fans by the power supply? I still plan on replacing the 2 side ones on the window.

Also after I put in my GPU heatsink i noticed that I could still twist it about 3-5 degrees without even trying. Does that sound about right? I mean my temps seem like it's on ok but i just thought it would be a much tighter fit.

Any other suggestions with what i have left over? (3 NMB fans and like 6 thermaltake fans)

Back