• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oh No!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yep. Thats why I never add or remove ramsinks anymore. I lost a Radeon 8500 to that too, trying to remove the ramsinks so I could put on a waterblock. Looks like you are in the market for a new card. Might be a good time to go PCI-E?

thats what i thought. I actually already have a x850xt pe pci-e to go with my dfi nf4 ultra-d and venice 3000+. Im putting all that together tonight.... It just sucks cause thats a lot of money and i really loved that card.... It feels like my dog just died or something. RIP little guy. He's up there in video card heaven now.

You can try to hold the ram chip in place while you boot your computer and if everything goes fine, you can get a clip or rig something to hold it in place for you.

If that happened to me, I would die because I stretched to get my card a week and a half ago.

Last edited:
it was a mix of arctic silver epoxy with as5 about half and half.... ive used it before and things will pop off easily, the first ramsink popped off easily, the second,,, well it popped off easily too with the memory chip attatched to it.

smesx1 said:
it was a mix of arctic silver epoxy with as5 about half and half.... ive used it before and things will pop off easily, the first ramsink popped off easily, the second,,, well it popped off easily too with the memory chip attatched to it.

With the right technique and tools ramsinks can usually be removed when epoxied on but going with a high end epoxyless system is always better.

BTW you used the wrong epoxy and compounds for memory chips. AS Silver Epoxy and AS5, or any silver bearing epoxy/compound, should NEVER be used on memory chips. They are both capacitive (not conductive). If any squeeze out managers to get where you do not want, like under a chip, you will typically end up with massive display corruption.

A 50/50 mix of pre mixed AS Alumina Epoxy and Ceramique will prevent that as it is not capacitive and it doesn't matter if a bit of it gets where you do not want.

Viper

smesx1 said:
it was the alumina epoxi mixed with as5

Mix the Alumina with Ceramique next time. It only takes the smallest bit of a capacitive epoxy/compound to get under a chip to hose the display. Compound can be cleaned out but hardened epoxy can't and you just end up with an expensive paper weight.

Viper

if it was a clean break, the card might be alright, itll just have less ram.

ket said:
if it was a clean break, the card might be alright, itll just have less ram.

Won't happen. The bios doesn't know that chip is gone and when it tries to read/write to those memory addresses you go down in flames.

Viper

i would try to re-soder it back on <_< or use some kind of clip to hold it in place and make sure you got it in the right way if you can remember >_>

Back