• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gateway notebook

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

edwardaune

Purchased a Gateway lsat night and I already hate tech support. I upgraded to the P4 3.2 and it caomes with 512 of PC2700, wouldnt you think that it could handle PC3200 easily being it is the speed that it is. If it had a Celeron than I might think that the mobo could only handle 333 but with the P4 in there I would imagine that it could handle 400. I cant tech support twice, the forst time she had to have my serial # in order to help me, hello, I ordered it last night. Second guy said that it only had one memory slot when in the description of the product it states that it has two. Wadda think? In case your wanting reference it is the M520X.

dvandervelde said:
Some people have trouble running DDR400 in laptops, even if the chipset supports it. It has to do with power issues - some ddr400 needs just a touch more power that can trip up the machine.

Thanks for the reply. Its more than have given.

I've got an M520 (not X), so assuming they aren't terribly different I can probably get you a little bit of info. There are indeed two RAM slots, but only one is really accessible (likely what the clueless person on the phone was talking about). The second slot is located inside the lappy (literally on the other side of the mobo as the accessible one) so you pretty much have to dismantle the entire thing to upgrade it.

Even if PC3200 is supported though, I don't know how much it would help. My chip runs at 133x21, with the RAM at a 4:5 divider (so it runs at 166x2). I can't find any option in the BIOS to modify the divider or FSB, so unless it automatically changes them depending on the RAM, you're stuck at running at PC2700 speeds regardless of the stick used.

JigPu

JigPu makes the best point. There's not much sense in upgrading to DDR400 when your machine will only run DDR333 speeds,

J.

Thanks JigPu, Im new to the notebook world so Im learning as I go. I guess Ill bet another 512 stick of 2700 since theres no use in getting a matched set. Ill check when I get it to see if there are indeed two visible slots. But your probably right and there is only one upgradable. Thanks for your help guys.

So would it matter what Brand of ram that I get, since I dont know what brand they put in. The cheaper the better or should I get something of "brand" source. Like pqi, OCZ or such?

According to CPU-Z, I've got samsung memory though I doubt that's the brand. Brand really shouldn't matter (since it's not dual channel to my knowledge...) as long as it's somewhat reputable. My timings are 2.5-3-3-7 at PC2700, so you'll likely want to make sure that you get a module at least that fast to prevent slowing down the other stick's timings.

Also, it wasn't clear from your earlier post wether you knew that the lappy (well, mine...) comes in a 2x256MB configuration, not a 1x512MB. Buying an additional 512MB stick should bump you up to 768MB of total RAM.

JigPu

Mine comes with a 1x512 so the additional 512 will bring it up to 1024. In your BIOS JigPu are your memory timings adjustable and, I have to ask, is it overclockable. Before you guys get on to me, I know that due to heat and what not they arent that overclockable, but I just have to ask.

I'd be a lot happier with 1x512 than my 2x256 (for upgrade reasons like you), so that's good :D

As for memory timings and overclockability.... The BIOS is extrordinarily limited and includes options for neither. I've also tried several software OCing programs without luck (I can't remember which), though if you know of any it's worth a shot :D About the only thing I found I could do was to undervolt it to help reduce the heat generated by my 2.8 (Load temp is 68C IIRC at stock voltage, 57C at 1.150V)

JigPu

Integrated Wireless Networking Adapter: Integrated 802.11b/g wireless networking card
Surge Protector: Not Selected
Rebate: $200 Instant rebate (reflected in price)
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition (SP2)
Application Software: Microsoft® Works 8.0
AntiVirus Software: Norton Internet Security 90 day introductory offer
Mobile Technology: Features Intel® Centrino™ Mobile Technology
Processor: Intel® Pentium® M Processor 730 (1.60GHz, 533MHz FSB, 2MB L2 cache)
Memory: 512MB 400MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Hard Drive: 40GB 4200rpm Ultra ATA hard drive
Floppy Drive: Integrated 4-in-1 card reader
Optical Drive: Integrated 24x/10x/24x CD-RW / 8x DVD combo
Expansion Slots: One type II PC card slot
External Ports: (4) USB 2.0, VGA, TV Out, S-Video, IEEE 1394 (FireWire)
Screen: 17" WXGA TFT Active Matrix (1440 x 900 max. resolution)
Video: ATI Radeon X700 64MB Graphics
Keyboard and Mouse: Full-sized keyboard w/ integrated 10-key pad and EZ Pad® Pointing Device
Multimedia Package: Integrated sound and stereo speakers, headphone/speaker jack, and mic jacks
Battery: Primary 8-cell Lithium ion battery with AC pack and 1 yr. limited battery warranty
Modem: Integrated V.90 56K Modem
Network Adapter: Integrated Broadcom® 10/100/1000 Ethernet Adapter
Internet Service Provider: Six months America Online® Internet access
Part Number: 1008465/2900736
Additional Software: Adobe® Acrobat Reader® 6.0, McAfee AntiSpyware 30 day introductory offer and Google Toolbar

Since then they have screwed up my order twice adn I am now getting this. Wadda think?

Looks good to me :) That Pentium M should make for some really nice battery life, and the X700 should get some descent FPS in games :D

JigPu

Thanks JigPu, the screen size is awesome let alone evrything else. Im not a Pent man so I dont know all the specs as far as they go. I think Im going to be a l0t happier. Dual Channrel at that, woohoo.

Well, theres been a change of plan. Gateway has managed to mess up my order twice. First they put the wrong billing address. Well since I had him on the phone I decided to go with another model. I went with the M680(QS). The QS stands for quick ship, HA. They over sold that particular model, so they upgraded me to the next model at no additional charge.
M680X
• Intel® Pentium® M Processor 740 (1.73GHz, 533MHz FSB, 2MB L2 cache)2

• Microsoft® Windows® XP Home (SP2) w/ XP Home Backup CD

• Features Intel® Centrino™ Mobile Technology

• 512MB 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2-256MB modules)

• 80GB 5400rpm Ultra ATA hard drive1

• 17" WXGA TFT Active Matrix (1440 x 900 max. resolution)

• Integrated 8x Multi-Format Double Layer DVD Writer (DVD±R/±RW/CD-RW)

• Integrated 802.11b/g wireless networking card

• ATI Radeon X700 128MB Graphics

This is a completely different animal than what I was going to purchase to begin with. I love the screen and it has a 5400 RPM hdd compared to the 4200 let alone the graphics card. Im kinda upset that I havent gotten it yet but I guess I shouldnt complain too much considering the upgrade. Wadda think?

Back