• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ati mobility x800 or geforce 6800 ultra?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eliteoneXP

I am planning on buying a kickass alienware laptop and I want to make sure it has the best of the best. I see they are offering the new geforce go 6800 ultra chip and I don't know which would give better performance. I'm kinda new to the laptop market so I'm not quite sure which one would be better overall. Any help would be appreciated. I see in most cases the ATI x800 beats the normal geforce go 6800 but I cant find any comparisons comparing the 6800 go ultra to the x800 mobile.

i have the 6800 non ultra version and it is kinda power hungry... I can't imagine the battery life with a overclocked 6800 ultra.

alienware laptops are hORRID on battery life because they use P4's in their gaming ones at least. i would either go sager or dell xps2. my dell xps2 at least outperforms the alienware and i get 2x the battery life.

tricknasty said:
alienware laptops are hORRID on battery life because they use P4's in their gaming ones at least. i would either go sager or dell xps2. my dell xps2 at least outperforms the alienware and i get 2x the battery life.

^^ Alienware is horrid on Batterylife? Sager is better on battery life? Do you really think there's a difference between the 2 companies besides the price?

Sager and Alienware use the same ODM, the 9880 Sager is the same as the Alienware A51 just without as much flash. Sager does get parts ahead of Alienware tho like the 6800 Ultra.

well i meant that the sager would be alot cheaper. but yea sager is proly just the same on battery life. in my opinion the 6800 go ultra is an outstanding card, but so is the x800, so it sounds like either would be great in a gaming laptop

I'd go with the ATI myself without even thinking but:

The 6800 Ultra is better, but also alot more power hungry.

If you want ANY battery life at all, go with ATI, but if it's always going to be plugged in the wall, then maybe the Nvidia.

And, don't go alienware, get a Sager or hypersonicpc, it's the exact same mashine without the expensive name. (and no ugly alien head and grip thingies)

For price/performance you will be much better off getting a Dell XPS Gen II or Inspiron 9300. Find an online coupon and you can get the same speeds as Alienware or Sager without the heat of a Pentium4 and for 500-1000$$ less....

Zeke968 said:
Find an online coupon and you can get the same speeds as Alienware or Sager without the heat of a Pentium4 and for 500-1000$$ less....

What are these online coupons you speak of and how easy are they to obtain?

ziggo0 said:
What are these online coupons you speak of and how easy are they to obtain?
go to notebookforum.com and look under their top thread (deal section) they update it all the time with the newest coupons.

screw both of them, get the ferrari 4005 and u'll thank god.
its very light and battery life is good.
take it from a guy who owned a p4 based laptop.
the turion ml-37/x700 mobile is the best combo in the market when it comes to a real laptop and not a desktop replacement. get the best bang for the buck.

henesse said:
screw both of them, get the ferrari 4005 and u'll thank god.
its very light and battery life is good.
take it from a guy who owned a p4 based laptop.
the turion ml-37/x700 mobile is the best combo in the market when it comes to a real laptop and not a desktop replacement. get the best bang for the buck.
i cant imagine an x700 will be good for gaming for very long....

i gotta say go with the dell xps2. as much as i love sager, on notebookforums.com a ton of people are having problems with the 9880. mostly heat-related (that thing gets HOT), but many seem to come with dead pixels and whatnot. not nearly as many people complaining in the dell section. plus the xps2 will get better battery life since it uses a p-m instead of a p4.

blitzkrieg1110 said:
i cant imagine an x700 will be good for gaming for very long....

after 2 years none of them will be. if you used the DELL for more than a month, you wouldn't buy it. My freind has it and hates it and i understand why he hates it since i had a 17" laptop also.

Last edited:
Maximum PC reviewed a Alienware laptop that had a Mobility X800XT PE with 16 working pipelines. However, after checking their site, I don't see any models listed with one. If you wait a little longer, maybe they'll be available. Oh yeah, and the X800XT PE killed the GeForce 6800 Go Ultra.

ghost_recon88 said:
Maximum PC reviewed a Alienware laptop that had a Mobility X800XT PE with 16 working pipelines. However, after checking their site, I don't see any models listed with one. If you wait a little longer, maybe they'll be available. Oh yeah, and the X800XT PE killed the GeForce 6800 Go Ultra.
not it did not!! WTF where are you getting your sources. They are about the same. The X800XT Moblie does a bit better but not by much, but being as we can't get them, and they will only be aviable in the Clevo P4 ODM laptop, so its out. Right now best bang for your buck is the Gen XPS 2 for gamming and DTR laptop.

Back