• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chieftec versus Fortron 550W...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That is the FSP550-60PLN, the dual-rail version. I suggest the FSP-550-60PLG, the single-rail unit. Ewiz.com has been the place to get those as of late, but newegg has them too.

These are some of the strongest PS2-sized supplies in captivity. They aren't tremendously efficient by modern standards, but they are enormously powerful. The PLG has a single 36A 12V rail, and active PFC. It does have a rather noisy server-grade 80mm fan that most users will want to exchange for a more docile unit, but the supply has proven capable of driving heavy loads with less fan speed than the stock unit delivers.

Chieftec is another Topower-produced supply, and usually the rather ordinary P4 non-independantly regulated variety (ala Vantec or OCZ Modstream).

larva said:
I suggest the FSP-550-60PLG, the single-rail unit.

Talk about coincidence, I came home from vacation to a dead router and a dead PSU, both were hooked up to seperate UPC's, and the kicker is before I left town I disconnected all electronics plugged into the wall outlets and UPS's

I bought a FSP550-60PLN and am happy with it, but if the store had a FSP-550-60PLG, that would have been my first choice. I couldnt wait to buy it as I was on the road and needed my computer fixed ~yesterday~.

This is my first Fortron as my last PSU's were PC Power and Cooling (This last one was the first PC P&C to die an early death and I am dumbfounded how a unplugged router and PSU could die, when unplugged :shrug:
Anyway, I decided to try out Fortrons and I am not disappointed in the least. Larva is never wrong when it comes to good PSU's and Memory. (I psychically connected into his mind to get a recomendation from him, bummer for me they didnt have the one he mentioned) :santa:

Silversinksam said:
Anyway, I decided to try out Fortrons and I am not disappointed in the least. Larva is never wrong when it comes to good PSU's and Memory. (I psychically connected into his mind to get a recomendation from him, bummer for me they didnt have the one he mentioned) :santa:

Yeah, he got me into Fortron too. My 530w just turned one year old :D

Hate to get off topic, but let us know what they do about that PC P&C. I'm thinking about getting one down the road when I go dual core, and I'm kinda curious how they do shipping and things like that.

Silversinksam said:
I bought a FSP550-60PLN and am happy with it, but if the store had a FSP-550-60PLG, that would have been my first choice. I couldnt wait to buy it as I was on the road and needed my computer fixed ~yesterday~.
A FSP550-60PLN as a matter of expediency isn't the worst result. It's the same supply, but configured with 2x18A 12V rails. I've heard of some situations where the PLN fails and the PLG doesn't, but these are really extreme cases you are unlikely to create. Both FSP550s are very powerful EPS supplies of moderate efficiency with active PFC.

larva said:
A FSP550-60PLN as a matter of expediency isn't the worst result. It's the same supply, but configured with 2x18A 12V rails. I've heard of some situations where the PLN fails and the PLG doesn't, but these are really extreme cases you are unlikely to create. Both FSP550s are very powerful EPS supplies of moderate efficiency with active PFC.

Powerful for sure, I am not disapointed in the least.

3DFlyer said:
Hate to get off topic, but let us know what they do about that PC P&C. I'm thinking about getting one down the road when I go dual core, and I'm kinda curious how they do shipping and things like that.

PC Power and Cooling has exceptional customer support and fast shipping, a few times I have helped overclockers abroad acquire them and PC Power and Cooling has always gone above and beyond in helping.

As far as this PC P&C psu, I won't be RMAing it as I had modded the PSU, and the circumstances of it's demise is strange, I will be dissecting it at a later time as well as disseecting the router that died to try to figure out what happened.

ctrl_alt_del_ said:
not trying to hijack the thread but how do they compare to this other Fortron PSU - AX500-A 500W

Much stronger - I wouldn't run two 6800's on the AX500-A, but the two 550w server units will have no trouble. Also, the 550w units have independant voltage regulation comparable to the OCZ Powerstreams and Antec Truepower/True 2's, and have better protection circuitry. They will be louder than the AX500-A for sure though - quiet wasn't a priority when they were designed.

Oklahoma Wolf said:
Much stronger - I wouldn't run two 6800's on the AX500-A, but the two 550w server units will have no trouble. Also, the 550w units have independant voltage regulation comparable to the OCZ Powerstreams and Antec Truepower/True 2's, and have better protection circuitry. They will be louder than the AX500-A for sure though - quiet wasn't a priority when they were designed.

so from the two server PSUs - is there any reason to get one over the other?
I also found this Antec TruePower 2.0 - is that comparable? It is SLI ready... man I suck at choosing a PSU!

Last edited:
I'd go for the single 12v version so there's no chance of one rail getting loaded down while the other still has room (though that situation doesn't come up too often).

I'm not a real big fan of the True 2's ATM - they are electrically improved on the older generations of the Truepowers, however they kinda blew the fan choice on them. The OCZ Powerstream 520w would be a better way to go and closer to the Fortron 550w units in power output - it'll handle SLI too despite not being officially SLI ready.

Not so long ago dual 12v rails were seen as an advantage, if my memory is correct. Is the single 12v design currently in favor because it is better able to handle a large (singular) load than a 2x12 is?

Back