• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ Modstream Worries on new build (and dremel mod with lian li case)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ocing newbie

It looks like my new rig will have the following components:

DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-d
3000+ Venice
MSI 7800gtx
2x1gb pc4000 Crucial Ballistix's
2x80gb Hitatchi Deskstar SataII 7K80's
DVD-rom & floppy drives
Lian Li PC-65B
OCZ Modstream 520w

My first concern is if the powersupply will be able to handle all this especially the 7800gtx. I'm pretty confident it will with 28 amps but just wanted some other opinions. I really want to get this powersupply because it looks so nice. I also like how the forton bluestorm 500w looks but my friend told me it wouldn't work becuase the leads were only 15 amps each and that the card alone would draw 20 amps. Can't you just hook the card power cable up to both leads at once though?

The second concern is that I've read the sata power cables on the modstream will get in the way of the top exhaust fan on the lian li case. I read that here:

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/FeedBack/CustRatingReview.asp?Item=N82E16811112040

They said there were two ways to correct this. One was to get a zalman 80x80x15 fan and the other was to do something with a dremel. A third guy said he just made it work but didn't say how so maybe you can just force it in. Is anyone familiar with this dremel mod? I'd rather not have to get another fan. People also complained that the cords were so stiff they couldn't hook stuff up. Will this be a problem with this case? Thanks :)

Last edited:
I've done a couple of these cases for customers with the same power supply. I found by leaving the PSU in the sun(mainly the cables)and getting them warm and workable i could mold the cables around the fan. Also i think this psu should work good for that setup.

Your forton would have powered that system fine, I have one powering, x2 4400 and a 7800gtx with no problems and actually most people will tell you the ax500 is way beter than the modstreams. If you are going to get ocz, I would get the powerstream 520. I will let some people with more knowledge on the negatives of the modstreams chime in.

I know the powerstream is better but I like the way the modstream looks cuz the light will shine in the case instead of outside it and the cabling is uv reactive which would match the dfi lanparty if I ever get the lights. The fortron also has uv reactive sheaths so that's why I like both of those.

How do you hook up a forton with your setup? Is the videocard feeding off both leads or just one?

Actualy, the fortron is a better choice than the modstream. The fortron will have no trouble with a 7800GTX, he has no idea what hes talkign about.

Actualy, the fortron is a better choice than the modstream. The fortron will have no trouble with a 7800GTX, he has no idea what hes talkign about.

nothing wrong with the modstream aside from the stiff cables it will suit you fine

ocing newbie said:
I know the powerstream is better but I like the way the modstream looks cuz the light will shine in the case instead of outside it and the cabling is uv reactive which would match the dfi lanparty if I ever get the lights. The fortron also has uv reactive sheaths so that's why I like both of those.

How do you hook up a forton with your setup? Is the videocard feeding off both leads or just one?

??? You are confuseing me, i just plugged in the connector designed to power a pci video card. It

Hey_Its_Cole said:
??? You are confuseing me, i just plugged in the connector designed to power a pci video card. It

I guess I was thinking you could take the pci-x power cable that comes with the video card and hook it up to a molex from each of the 12v rails.

I guess I was thinking you could take the pci-x power cable that comes with the video card and hook it up to a molex from each of the 12v rails.

Its PCI-E. PCI-X is a 64bit PCI slot used in server boards

Back