• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Tip for: If you really must remove your IHS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JasonBr

Disabled
My Tip for: If you really must remove your IHS (sticky worthy?, ill clean up the text

I removed my IHS yesterday.
In all actuallity , It was very simple, I used a thin single blade razor (One thats rectangle and 1 sided, got 10 at walmart for 97 cents) I tried an exacto knife at first but it was too thick and you need a long edge really not a point.

I started with the razor in one corner and " broke the seal".
Now this is where I differ from other IHS removal techniques, I cut a piece of thin plastic out from a piece of packaging i was gonna throw away. Just typical see through plastic 90% of things you buy come in. In my case i used the plastic from a cable splitter package i got at Wal-mart, but there are about 6 billion other packaged items that will work fine :)

So i now take my "plastic knife" and proceed to cut the rest of the seal off.
Now i did use the razor blade on the 4 corners. But I think i coulda used the "plastic knife" all the way around.

Anyway, I thought Id share my tip. It does take some of the risk out of removing the IHS. Atleast the plastic wont cut or scratch anything but the silicone seal.

Last edited:
EvilCloudStrife said:
but your warrenty goes out the window. is there any way to attach it back on if you have a problem after that?
At that point, if you're having a problem, it's more likely your fault. If you're overclocking it, your warrenty is already gone.

ya, but then its your morals go out the window. being truthful is in, if you oc'd it, and it died, then man up and take resposnability for it. i once saw a sig that had great advice. it said : "Don't OC it if you cant replace it"

WingsofGOD said:
This was what i was getting at... And as far as "Your warranty is void when you overclock", sure if ya tell em.
Talk like that will also get you banned from the Classifieds.

i didnt even remeber that overclocking voids the warrenty. but duh. so in the end it guess it doesnt matter what you do to your cpu take make it a little bit cooler. infact, i am going to take it off right now. but, wont the heatsink be to heavy for it? do i need to put padding down on the sides of the cpu? (think the athalon xp) i dont know what to do when it comes to mounting the heatsink

WingsofGOD said:
What does that have to do with the classifieds?

So you dont sell bum crap to other people. If your morals are that bad about OCing, I wont buy anything from you.

I once took of the IHS off my only P4 ever, and used a SP-94. I had to modify the 94 tho, shaved some off mounting screws in order to get the HSF to make contact with the die. Was a bit of effort, but semi-worth it.

All I used was a thin double sided razor found in Wallmart near the facial razors. Works like a charm. I just use tape so I dont go too deep and cut one of the ic's. This my third chip and it only took me like 3 min. to do it..

Attachments

• X2-01.jpg
    X2-01.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 283
JasonBr said:
I removed my IHS yesterday.
In all actuallity , It was very simple, I used a thin single blade razor (One thats rectangle and 1 sided, got 10 at walmart for 97 cents) I tried an exacto knife at first but it was too thick and you need a long edge really not a point.

I started with the razor in one corner and " broke the seal".
Now this is where I differ from other IHS removal techniques, I cut a piece of thin plastic out from a piece of packaging i was gonna throw away. Just typical see through plastic 90% of things you buy come in. In my case i used the plastic from a cable splitter package i got at Wal-mart, but there are about 6 billion other packaged items that will work fine :)

So i now take my "plastic knife" and proceed to cut the rest of the seal off.
Now i did use the razor blade on the 4 corners. But I think i coulda used the "plastic knife" all the way around.

Anyway, I thought Id share my tip. It does take some of the risk out of removing the IHS. Atleast the plastic wont cut or scratch anything but the silicone seal.

thanks for the tip :thup:

Back