• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tinker Cores?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hibner

I am running the graphical version at work, everyone loves to sit and watch the protien fold.

The problem is all I get are tinker cores. Why is this and how can I change it?

The -advmethods flag makes it so I don't get any Tinkers. As long as you do that without BP on, I think you should just get regular Gromacs and DGromacs.

How do I change the flags with the graphic version, and what is BP? Sorry for the silly questions, I'm still a folding n00b. Oh, and if it matters its on a 1.8ghz pentium-m lappy.

BP is BigPacket, it'll give you more memory intensive wus, which probably isn't good for you since it's a work pc. I think in the graphic version the way to set bp on is 'Accept WUs>5mb'.
To set -advmethods, you can go to the shortcut in your startup folder > Right click then properties > in the target box add -advmethods.

Who said:
BP is BigPacket
you think I could have figured that out on my own. :bang head

I added the advmethods flag. Thanks for the help. They let me put it in another 'old' laptop that we keep running 24/7. Another 1200 mhz of folding powah!!

Last edited:
It sounds to me as if the rig is set to fold WUs with no deadlines (client type 2). All of those are Tinkers. Adding the -advmethods flag will override the client type 2 setting and you'll no longer get just Tinkers. You will get units more prone to screw up than regular WUs. -advmethods means late beta. If in fact it's set to receive deadlinless WUs, changing that setting will accomplish what you seek.

I am set to use deadlines. So hopefully it will work. I am going to let this tinker complete first before I change the flag. No need to kill a perfectly good WU.

Stopping the client properly and changing the flag and restarting won't kill the wu.

Changing the advmethods flag worked. Thanks all. No More tinkers for me. I am now folding Gromacs core p1408_Q20x4 in water. Have you seen these "in water" gromacs. I received 2 of these last night. What are they?

Back