• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AGP card in PCI Express x16 slot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

suckerr70

Registered
I have an all-in-wonder and it goes in a AGP slot but the motherboard I want to get takes PCI Express x16. Will my card be compatible with the mobo?

Absolutely not. No way to make it compatible either. Either get a new card, which I suggest, or buy a similar board with agp.

Well at least he didn't ducttape the agp card to some crappy pcie carda nd put it in his computer. :). I know a few people dumb enough to think that would work. And it oes! Try it yourself ;)

There is an Asrock mobo that supports both AGP and PCIe but it isn't available in America. Its based on the ULi 1695 chipset and if you get the beta drivers it isn't a bad OCer. However in your case you only option is to buy a new graphics card or else an AGP mobo but theres no point in chosing the latter option.

suckerr70 said:
I have an all-in-wonder and it goes in a AGP slot but the motherboard I want to get takes PCI Express x16. Will my card be compatible with the mobo?

Well, what do you have and what were you looking at getting?

suckerr70 said:
:welcome: to the forums!!!!!!
Two different interfaces so no it won't work as already mentioned.

-_{MoW}_-Assasi said:
lol newbie ;D, i suggest reading sum o stickes on how to do and sum know how, general know how anyway and sum in depth confising stuff there, but is helpful later on
You were a noob once also...... I hope the folks who delt with you were more courteous. :-/

I agree ... EVERYONE had to start somewhere .... and this is the best place to start learning ANYTHING pc related .

As said before : There's no such thing as a dumb question , only dumb thing is not to ask that question .

With that said .... ask away ;)

and :welcome: to the forums ! :D :D :D

-_{MoW}_-Assasi said:
lol newbie ;D, i suggest reading sum o stickes on how to do and sum know how, general know how anyway and sum in depth confising stuff there, but is helpful later on

Mate,

There is no need to poke fun at him. Also, please use the spell check, your post cannot be parsed :rolleyes:

Back on topic, PCI-E and AGP are not compatible because they are completely different architectures. Several incompatabilities such as voltages, pin positions, signalling and timing pulses, would nullify any attempt to force an AGP card to work in a PCI-E slot.

I would suggest that you get a good PCI-E Motherboard. None of them are very cheap, though. I would suggest the ASUS A8N NForce4. PCI-E is where the current graphics technology is heading, so one might as well follow current technology.

Back