• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

newbie needs help OCing a Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jpmad4it

Registered
hello there

I have a Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb atlantis.

I have used the ATI tool to OC my card - i got 435 max for the core and 380 max for the memory. I allowed each process to run separately, from the default value - until i noticed that the values were not rising anymore. They stopped at the values shown for a good 5 mintues. So i guessed that they were my max values? So then i set the new max core and memory values and tested for atrifacts for 15 minutes - no errors were produced - does this mean its all ok???

regards jonathan

That does mean it is ok and stable. However, since you ran them separately (as I do too) it means that if you impliment both max clocks, your card mmight not like it.

What I mean is, say you OC your card right not to 435/380. It might have trouble because when it was testing, it tested 1 speed at stock while the otherone OCed. I would back off those clocks a tad (I do it usually by 10 mhz or so) and work with that.

EDIT: Oh and welcome to the forums.

hey there,

Thanks for the welcome :)

Yes i understand what you mean. At first i found the max core value, set it, and then tried to find the max mem value - but ATI tool came up with a warning that the values might have errors if i did it that way - so i did them one at a time and i have done exactly what you did - i reduced the values just in case by about 5mhz :)

learning quick i am :)

EDIT: PS i have tested with my new values by the way - i can now play Doom 3 on high quality with 1280x1024 pixels with an average FPS of 66 - very impressed!!!! Plus - no errors!!! Before i was getting 33FPS on medium quality and i was running at 1024x768!!! ive done some CPU oc too though :)

Awesome. Thats a great way to start, man. Now do monitor your temps on your card if it has a temp sensor (ATI tool can look at the temps). Make sure it isn't getting too hot. You don't wan to stress your video card so that it overheats.

i dont think it has one? There are no temps displayed in ati tool

In the settings there is a Temperature Monitoring section , I beleive. See if you can enable the monitoring. IT will then display in the bottom of the window once you close the settings.

Then perhaps it doesn't have it.

What I would recomend is a Vantec Fancard. These thigns are great for improving OCs of video cards. It made a hude difference for my x800 for sure and I know that the 9800 runs pretty hot. And make sure your ventilation is nice.

Cheator said:
Then perhaps it doesn't have it.

What I would recomend is a Vantec Fancard. These thigns are great for improving OCs of video cards. It made a hude difference for my x800 for sure and I know that the 9800 runs pretty hot. And make sure your ventilation is nice.

I could not agree more. I have exactly the same card and with stock cooling it ran hot as hell even at 412Mhz. (XT stock clocks) I was not brave enough to drive more than that on stock cooling. i suggest that you get some better hsf for your card if you want some real clocks. I could suggest Zalman VF700. My friend has one and it is just awesome. Keeps the GPU cool at 5volts and is virtually noiseless.

PS. Pretty good clocks you have there mine could not do more than 430/370 without artifacts even under WC :bang head

Hey all,
Totally agree with fabo, the Zalman VF700 Cu is a top notch cooler and will make your 9800 purr like a kitten from hell ,so too speak.
I just purchased one and had to let someone know that its well worth its weight in gold albeit copper. just remember there are 2 types the Cu and the AlCu (copper and Aluminium + Copper) the Cu will drop temps a further 5 Degrees C for a further $5-$10
so thats the one you want. At the moment my case temp is 30C because my AC fried and the house is very warm but the temp sensor I have positioned on the back of the GPU reads 32.8C so I figure add another 1-3 Degrees C on that for actual core temps and at Idle you have a very overclockable card. At load it heats to a nice 35 C which is a superb temp for an already hot system (cant wait until winter :D)
Only thing and this is for the people with All in Wonder cards is that you will need to cut 5 fins of the larger left side of the heatsink for it to fit properly which doesnt make a bit of difference to the temps.
I was looking at the Arctic Silencer Rev 3 but I wasnt too impressed with the design it has a large heatsink and allthough it will take longer to heat up it will also disapate the heat slower and its Aluminium which is not as good as Copper, but it does expell the air out the back of the case which is a nice touch.

Also just to clarify , The ATI 9800 cards do not have temp sensors so dont look for any program to try and find one this is something that ATI rectified on the X cards.
although some powered by ATI cards may have them I dont know as I am strictly a Built by ATI kind of guy.

ATI Tool - If you have found your Max Core and Max Mem and ran them together and you get no errors for as long as you say then yes they are fine at that speed.
Actually you may be able to go a little higher because they work together in stablising
each other and a faster Core clock will need faster Mem to keep up. But Make sure you use the Zalman or another heatsink as this makes all the difference, my card wouldnt go past 382 core until i used the Zalman, considering the stock speed is 378.
Just proves that ATI give you enough cooling for stock speeds as OVERCLOCKING VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY EVEN 1 MHZ HIGHER THAN STOCK so be warned!

Conclusion - If you are still using Air Cooling then get the Zalman it does exactly what it says on the box.

PS Im bloody Jealous of that Atlantis that it can hit 435 on stock HSF what Driver are you using for that. I recently uninstalled the 5.8 cat and went back to 5.7 because of higher temps, I might go back even further, anbody have any favourite catalysts that give better temps ??? im all ears

jpmad4it said:
hello there

I have a Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb atlantis.

I have used the ATI tool to OC my card - i got 435 max for the core and 380 max for the memory. I allowed each process to run separately, from the default value - until i noticed that the values were not rising anymore. They stopped at the values shown for a good 5 mintues. So i guessed that they were my max values? So then i set the new max core and memory values and tested for atrifacts for 15 minutes - no errors were produced - does this mean its all ok???

regards jonathan

you may go with a visual of maxing overclocks by just raising the clocks 5Mhz at a time to see how high it will go..... then run your favorite benchmark and see if there are any artifacts or tearing in the image qaulity.... My 9800pro which is flashed to an xt will get 460/390 without any "visable" artifacts.

:welcome: to the forums Rastaman....

Let me make a slight correction.... 9800pro cards built on the 9800xt pcb do have temp sensors..... they can also be flashed to 9800xt cards with just a bios flash (of course you have to find the right bios).

and I also agree the Zalman cooler is a great one..... I however went a cheaper route with the VGA-Silencer Rev3 which is also an incredible cooler for the card in question. Also costs less than the Zalman if you can find it.....

The only problem I've found with the Zalman VF700Cu is the little crossbar on the back won't fit ith the ramsinks on unless you cut one of the ramsinks a bit. This wasn't too much of a problem for me. I just turned the sink sideways and moved it back just a tad. It's still coving at least 95% of the ram chip so it should be just fine. I'm not sure if this is just a x8xx problem or not, but it's something to watch out for.

With the VF700Cu on my x800XT PE my temps went from 38°(idle)-69°(load) to 35°(idle)-40°(load). Huge temp difference, but my overclock didn't get much better. Since they were already prety low, I was bummed. I think my card just doesn't want to OC much.

im using an ATi silencer, plus the Antec p180 allows you to add an 80mm fan in the black box above the video card - blowing continuous cold air onto it - wicked:

DSC00157.jpg

Back