• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Could this the face of Pentium 5?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sentential

Contributing Member
Could this be the integrated memory controller Intel has spoken of? Is this the future of what is to come?

Last edited:
Hmmm... interesting... going one step further than integrating just the memory controller.....

David said:
Hmmm... interesting... going one step further than integrating just the memory controller.....
I just find it interesting of what choice they made. AMD decided to integrate the PCI-E controller on socket 1207 but with intel they integrate the voltage regulator.

What I find more curious is how the latter picture shows a functioning prototype of what is an i945 chipest. Perhaps they are testing Conoe with an integrated controller?

that presentation was strictly about moving the vrm's on the board, on die, they didnt mention memory controllers when i watched it.

What I find more curious is how the latter picture shows a prototype of what is an i945 chipest. Perhaps they are testing Conoe with an integrated controller?

According to that article its the Memory, voltage and Integrated Graphics all on one chip

Sentential said:
I just find it interesting of what choice they made. AMD decided to integrate the PCI-E controller on socket 1207 but with intel they integrate the voltage regulator.

I wonder how easy then it will be to adjust voltage for the CPU? Days of increasing vcore at the BIOS level may be numbered? Although I would imagine there would be some sort of control system for the voltage regulator, controlled by the motherboard?

Also, do the voltage regulators not put out extra heat ...?

it was a research board, and it was about condensing some items into the die.

cmos voltage regulator, gmch, into the cpu to save battery life in notebooks.

it seems pretty far out even though they had a working example...and this was also during rattner's speech, which is about future future products and this time "user aware systems", which means this is probably even further out.

Sentential said:

Didn't read through all of it, so please bear with me :)
Does this mean no VCore VMods can be performed?

this is geared towards notebooks not desktops at least in the presentation, the board they were using was for a notebook, and they mentioned it was to save battery life.

not sure if they would implement this in desktops.

nothing to worry about for a long long time anyways.

edit: the board that has the copper color in it, was a dummy desktop board that they were removing parts off of (were already un-soldered etc). the working board was a laptop. i think they used the desktop dummy board, just to illustrate removing of certain parts.

You are totally misreading what I said. The voltage reg filters the voltage to the CPU, otherwise known as a MOSFET. CMOS still controls the levels to the CPU. What they added to the CPU package is a filter for the CPU thus removing the need of having power regulators on the mobo itself.

Well, that could definitely have its advantages and disadvantages. The plus side, is that with high amounts of vcore, if you can cool the CPU, to end up cooling the voltage regulator too and it doesn't require any additional modifications. The negative side is that it does all add more heat in one specific location which could mean the voltage regulator may run warmer with the CPU core there, and overall slightly affects the amount that your CPU cooling solution has to absorb.

This however, probably will not be much of a problem with the nice low thermal output Pentium M. :)

I thought AMD had made some mentions about moving the full northbridge on DIE rather than just on the same board. Think about how the early Celerons could often beat a slot 1 pentium 2 because their cache was full speed and lower latency.

@md0Cer said:
I should remember to keep that in mind for when I post pictures. Now that OCF is getting larger, the "slashdot" effect on people's bandwidth increases.

Yes, also if they decide to replace those images with a picture of the Admin's hairy *** then we have another problem :p

David said:
Yes, also if they decide to replace those images with a picture of the Admin's hairy *** then we have another problem :p

Been there, seen that. :( Seen MUCH worse actually, im not even going to say the name of the "shock" pic that it was replaced with. Interesting "location" David. ;)

Back