• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R520 is only 16 pipe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
cooper15 said:
i dont see anywhere in that article were it says what kind of r520 will have 16 pipes. maybe that's just for the lowest model

"ATI flagship R520 cunningly nicknamed "Fudo" will feature only sixteen pipelines."

But who knows what it will really look like (if it even comes out).

"Originally Posted by cooper15
i dont see anywhere in that article were it says what kind of r520 will have 16 pipes. maybe that's just for the lowest model

"ATI flagship R520 cunningly nicknamed "Fudo" will feature only sixteen pipelines."

But who knows what it will really look like (if it even comes out)."

you relealize that them saying ati flagship r520 refers to the whole series comming out, so it still could be the lower end models.......i really highly doubt there going to release a card called the "ati flagship r520" :rolleyes:

you relealize that them saying ati flagship r520 refers to the whole series comming out, so it still could be the lower end models.......i really highly doubt there going to release a card called the "ati flagship r520"
The "flagship" card generally refers to a company's fastest card out. In this case, that would refer to the top model of the series. Currently, ATi's flagship is the X850XT PE.

yes but in the article its not talking about a card its talking about the r520 core being the flagship.........

I think r520 will be short lived. r580 is what we should be looking forward to. ati had problems so r520 may not be what we want it to

True and according to the inq.(i know but whatever) the R580 is already taped out. I know not to put to much faith in the inq. but They were right about the multiple tapeouts and yeild problems of the R520 so. I am in the market for a vid card badly so I am trying to follow everything as close as possible.

I do prefer Nvidia myself, but I really do hope that this isn't true regarding the 16 pipes on the ATi card.
Just a question, if it only has 16 pipes but high clocks.... it wouldn't cut it later on against a lower clocked card with more pipes would it?

Not at higher resolutions or with upcomming generations of games. More pipes really help with that sort of thing and (as proved by Intel) higher clocks doesn't always mean higher performance.

Goateh said:
I do prefer Nvidia myself, but I really do hope that this isn't true regarding the 16 pipes on the ATi card.
Just a question, if it only has 16 pipes but high clocks.... it wouldn't cut it later on against a lower clocked card with more pipes would it?

16 pipes - high clocks and possibly 512bit ram......

XReaLm said:
guys have something to ask, what is RMA?

Return Merchandice Authorization. Means you send the thing back for replacment under warenty. Not sure why this article makes it RMA time though.

I dont want to make another thread as theres enough of em and some of you are tired. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you must be informed.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25898 poor r520, from the looks of it, itll perform between a 7800gt and 7800gtx but wont match the 7800gtx :( 600MHz at 16 pipes has less fillrate than 430MHz at 24. Also nvidia is faster clock for clock. ATI does have better IQ and none of the shimmering issue. Let me summarize what ATIs offering:

r520xt(x900xt?) 16 pipes at 600/1400. Between a 7800gt and 7800gtx.
r520(x900xl?) 16 pipes at 500/1200. Should be comparable to an x850xt PE
rv530(x900pro?)12 pipes at 600/1400. 128 bit ram???!!! I dont believe those specs. Why waste such fast ram and make it 128 bits? Its far cheaper to use 800-1000MHz 256 bit ram. Also I dont see the core being that high. Looks to be x900s that didnt make 16 pipes so they are saved as 12. Probably gonna be 450/1000. Comparable to x800xl.
rv515(x750?)500-600MHz/600-800MHz. 4 pipes, 128 bit ram. nothing more than an x600xt with higher clocks. Wont touch any cards with 256 bit ram such as radeon 9700s. Good for budget with ps3 but if the price isnt good, youd be better off with a faster 6600gt or x700pro. ps3 isnt a big deal and if it is, just get a 6600gt which crushes x750.

ATI is gonna have to price their cards competitvately. $450 for their x900xt, $350 for the x900xl, $250 for x900pro, less than $99 for x750. I had a talk with one of my friends about this and he says ATI shouldnt worry they are ahead in a way. They are working out 90nm and Nvidia will need to go 90nm too. He sees Nvidia having a bumpy ride with 90nm while ATI already gets their kinks worked out so while they lost the r520 round, they will win the next few rounds anyway. Makes me feel better after all. They are down but not out!

Very true about the 90nm - hopefully ATI will be mature with the process while NVIDIA will be clueless - or perhaps NVIDIA will learn from ATI's mistakes.

also

ATI does have better IQ and none of the shimmering issue

i dont think this is fair until more proof can be shown about this beside a single german website.

err im gonna fight with ati till the end. have you guys even considered the whole thing that nvidia is cheating with their numbers on the 7800's. it was slighty proven in a test and its on the forum somewhere so go check it out.

its already known Nvidia cheats but some people dont care as long as their games fly, sad I know. Im done with Nvidia myself till they clean their act.

TheINQ also reported today that the R530 suffers from the same sort of yeild issue :(. I think its safe to say that the overclocking potential will not be very good at all on ATi this generation.

Back