• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad News From ATi, R520 Recalled, G71 As Well?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sentential

Contributing Member
pulled from rage3d and other sources. Rumor from Taiwan has it that ATi has recalled the R520 from their 3rd party members for either yet another tape-out or scrapping the project totally for the R580 :shrug: :cry:

In response, nVidia decided that they have no need to continue the G71 and cancelled it in favor on finishing devolpment of the G80 core. :( Tis a sad day for both camps. Looks like no one will have any more high end cards to release this year :cry:

Last edited:
I dont ever want the r520 if it ever comes out from the looks of it, just an overclocked x850xt with ps3 slapped in. r520s are rumored to be 16 pipes at up to 700MHz. Big deal you can overclock x850xts to around 600MHz

its not like im buying another vid card this year anyway its just that i want something faster than an x850xt/6800ultra to upgrade to if i decide to sometime next year.

I dont think were gonna see any more agp cards. I am supprised nvidia cancelled G71 but its probably nothing more than an overclocked G70 anyway so there was no need

im staying away from sli, crossfire, socket m2 and therefore staying away from pci-e and ddr2/3 memory also in the process in an effort to curb my spending.thing is i dont plan on upgrading beyond the r5xx and 78xx series of cards.ever.for those of you thinking i should get an xbox360 instead they dont overclock lol.but at least now that i have a socket 939 mobo with the latest official bios ill be able to upgrade to an x2 sometime in the future when 64 bit multi threaded games become the norm :) .

Last edited:
3DFlyer said:
I would really like to see nVidia capitalize on this blunder from ATi. By going ahead with the G71 and the G80 they can pull way ahead, and at the same time learn things from both cores. They could also learn things on supporting drivers. Bug free, georgeous graphics have always been the strong suit for nVidia. Here lately they have really dominated in the benchmark arena, and in performance apps. By going forward with both cores it would give them valuable research to make these great cards even greater.

The 6800 was supposed to be the last AGP card. I'm actually surprised that they have elected to make a AGP 7800. It's time to move on. AGP was good while it lasted, but I'm not going to buy anymore AGP cards, unless this one goes bad and I have to buy another one to keep this system up as a backup when I get the new one. PCI-e and SLi setups are the way to go. I don't really understand why somebody would want to spend that much money on a 7800 and then stick it in a AGP port. It just doesn't make sense. You're going for performance and then limiting with the old AGP port. The PCI-e is a much better setup.

Yeah! That would be great and you could then pay an even bigger premium for those cards. Since nvida would be alone at the top they can put whatever price they want on their cards because they own that market. Maybe they will favor lower prices and destroy ATI's sales effectively bankrupting a company already in trouble. A monopoly usually isn't a good thing.

Can you link me to your sources?

If this is true, I hope ATi is going to cut prices even more, I don't see how they expect to stay alive if they don't.

Last edited:
There actually might be AGP 7800s, it would make sense too. About 90% of the world computer population still use AGP, only enthusist and OCers, which probably account for about 3% of the world computer population, would actually care about getting a 7800GTX in PCI-E. Yeah, most large manufactors, ie HP and others are slowly starting to integrate PCI-E into their current systems, but regardless of that, there is still a lot of people using AGP. If they do implement the AGP verison, that'll more or less phase out the 6800GT Ultras, because everyone will either go for the 7800s or the 6800GT.

RAMMAN said:
:eek: wtf :cry: without r520 that would leave only the x850xtpe and 6800ultra as the fastest agp cards currently available :( .

You act like they have trouble playing any games.

By thr time they start lagging bad in hl3, you should have gone to pci-e by then.

I kind of feel bad for ati. They are pretty much the only computer part maker that isn't taiwanese besides AMD and Intel.

Er, Links? Evidence? How do you know that the r580 isn't nearly as close to release as the r520. Considering the number of delays on the 520 core that is entirly possible. Without any supporting evidence I'm inclined to take this with a pinch of salt. Theres been a lot of rumors regarding ATi recently and everybody seems perfectly willing to believe absolutly everything they hear without thinking.

I'm sorry that sounded a bit rude but I'm getting tired of rumours being constantly taken as fact.

Back