• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wow i just got a mobile celeron 1.5 for 20 dollars oh wait

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hrhrhrFOOT

Good news:

-OH SNAP
-REBADGED PENTIUM 4
-512K CACHE
-BOO YA
-20 DOLLARS SHIPPED
-Prime stable @ 1.5 volts

Bad news:
-no heatspreader D= so my heatsink from my old 1.8 celeron doesnt work unless i take some aluminum foil and make a little square, and put it between the heatsink and proc. but then, it gets to 57c load

-gotta pin mod to work, otherwise you dont get enough volts, etc...

-b0 stepping, so i don't think it will overclock very well

Anyways, what i'm tihnking of doing is selling the motherboard im using it in right now(emachines trigem imperial 845gv crap) and the celeron that i had in it. The celeron alone should get fetch 50 dollars or so, and i had saw people who payed 75 dollars for the motherboard :drool:
To be honest, i'd be glad to get even half that, so here's my predicament. What should i do?

A. Keep motherboard, sand down a penny and use it as a spacer between hsf and proc
B. Change motherboard, sand down penny and use it as spacer between hsf and proc
C. Change motherboard, buy new hsf(don't know which one to get though...will i have to use the penny trick either way?)

Yeah, tell me about it, 57c load on a mobile isnt too fun >_<
So, anyone got ideas on a heatsink to get? I'm thinking about the aero 4 lite...seems like a nice value for the money(only 7 dollars at svc)

Look for a HS that uses screws to mount it to the mobo, instead of the bracket.

Those P4M Mobile CPUs are SCREAMERS, provided you have enough FSB room on your mobo. I have had 4 of them, and still have 2. There are amazing at overclocking!

Get some GOOD cooling.

steve

fAlCoNNiAn said:
i think i screamed when i saw the aluminum padding statement. anyone else see that as a problem? :bang head :shrug:

Haha yes, but i just wanted to make sure that it worked. got it off ebay, so i wanted to see just if it ran or not...good thing i checked, otherwise i'd still think it's a celeron!

And about that thermal tape...is it the kind of thing where i'd be able to find it or something like it at my hardware store? That'd be cool if i could.

And skou, what heatsink do you recommend? I'm really now considering going with the aero 4 lite because
http://www.metku.net/?sect=view&n=0&path=reviews/aero4lite/index_eng
If you look there, it comes with a boatload of accessories! The rheobus would be awesome cause i'm gonna be using it in my bedroom, so it'd be nice to be able to choose between cool and quiet ;)
I know, I know, it doesn't have any screws, but it looks like such a good deal! And i like the design too :cool:

hrhrhrFOOT said:
And about that thermal tape...is it the kind of thing where i'd be able to find it or something like it at my hardware store? That'd be cool if i could.

They will usually sell it at a hardware store or any place where they have high grade tools or lotsa pc modding equipment. Or peel it off the back of a ramsink :p

all right, cool. i'm gonna try that first, sjaak just cause i would like to get that computer running as soon as possible. i'll worry about oc'ing it after i get the money from selling stuff X)

in the rare event that i cant find thermal tape, what if i made a spacer out of solder? In this review(http://www.overclockers.com/articles1094/), it is said that the heatpipes are soldered on instead of being attached by thermal paste, and this increases thermal conductivity. The only issue i'd have is if it got hot enough during operation to melt on to the core...that would suck really bad :X
I think i'll be better off with thermal tape.

Well, i don't mean soldering on the cpu, i mean like making a spacer with something else, like between(lol) 2 pieces of aluminum foil, then lapping both sides and putting it between the hsf and the core. But then again, I don't know if the solder will melt or not...

No, that's the strange part. It boots up 15x mult and all, 100 fsb. But, cpuz, everest, wcpuid, all of them detect it as a p4. I don't think they are misdetecting it...are they?

Update-

Good news:
-Made a copper spacer, heatsink is making contact(touched the sink, it was quite hot)
-Seems to fit perfectly with heatsink retention clips
-Around 36c idle
-Quite stable

Bad news:
-No case fans in the emachines case >_<
-No thermal paste, so i had to use toothpaste heheh i think it's dried out already =X
=-It was blue gel toothpaste too lol, its not normal white toothpaste.
-64C PRIMING HOLY ****
-UHH 64C PRIMING HOLY ****
-GOOD GOOGA MOOGA 64C IS REALLY HOT

So uhh, heh, got any ideas? I know, "BUY CASE FANS NAO...AND BETTER COOLING ROLFZ"

It should get better, as today is really really hot(katrina). Speaking of katrina, my condolences to everyone involved and their loved ones. No one should have to go through this. But it's nobody's fault that it actually happened; we knew it was coming. Whether or not we could have done more to minimize damage but that's a whole different discussion all together.
God bless you all, and may relief come soon for those involved in this.

Back