• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheap Laptops

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diggingforgold

I'm looking for a very cheap new laptop. Check out these specs and let me know what you think.

AMD Mobile Sempron 2600+
SiSM760 Based (supports AMD Turion 64 / Mobile Athlon 64)
SiS Mirage 2 Graphic
15" XGA
256MB DDR SDRAM
40 GB HDD
CD-RW/DVD-ROM
802.11b/g
Lite-On AC Adapter
Li-ion 6-cell Smart Battery
4-in-1 Card Reader
4x USB 2.0 with all the standard laptop ports (56k, nic, sound, etc..)
Internal Mic
Stereo Speakers
1-Year Parts & Labor Warranty
6.8lbs

Under $600

BTW: I got specs on an equal priced new Dell as well:

Intel Celeron M 350 (1.3GHz)
(unknown CPU support)
14.1" XGA
256MB DDR SDRAM
30GB HDD
Intel 900 Graphics
CD-RW/DVD-ROM
(no wireless)
AC Adapter
NiMH 8-cell Smart Battery
(no card reader)
3x USB 2.0 with all standard laptop ports (56k, nic, sound, etc..)
(no internal mic)
Stereo Speakers
90-day Parts & Labor Warranty
6.3lbs

Do you think it would be better to just buy some other used system, or get one of these brand new ones?

And in case pics make any difference:

wally.jpg

dude.jpg

What brand is the first one? It seems better value than the Dell... also take a look at acer and browse through newegg.

The cheapest acer is ~$650, and is very similar to the CN5560 (except it has a 2800 instead of a 2600 sempron). As far as I could tell, the Acer's chipset doesn't support turions.

BTW: The first model is a IC Power CN5560 (also known as the walmart laptop). I had doubts simply because it was from walmart, but then I got to thinking. It's dirt cheap. It's specs are way better than the cheap dell. And I can get an extended 3-Year warranty on it through Walmart for only $41. It also comes with XP Home (it's not the linspire lappy).

I'm thinking about getting this. If there are any dead pixels or any problems, I can just run up to Wally World and get an exchange. But the acer also looks like an attractive deal.

Here's a link to the CN5560 manual. It's well documented as far as upgrades and stuff: http://www.icpowerhouse.com/MANUALS/manuals.files/Mannuals/Notebook/CN5560/CN5560 User Manual.pdf

Last edited:
General mobility at a dirt cheap price.

Surfing web anywhere in house
Doing homework anywhere (has to be able to run latest flavors of office apps and whatever else I will need for school)
Watching movies anywhere
I don't plan on doing any intense gaming
I also plan to get a GPS module (some time later) and use it in my car.

then i would take the first one by far - the CPU is , well superior to the celeron.- and with a 3 year warranty chances are if it died they will just throw you a new laptop :)

Mr.Guvernment said:
then i would take the first one by far - the CPU is , well superior to the celeron.- and with a 3 year warranty chances are if it died they will just throw you a new laptop :)

My though exactly. :).

But I checked their site. Seems like they jacked the warranty prices up.

2 year warranty @ $68.88
3 year warranty @ $103.33

Back