• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New case with good cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RisingPhoenix

Registered
I'm looking for a case with pretty good looks and good cooling. I have an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ with a 6800GT and a XCLIO 550W PSU, (things like the motherboard, memory, and processor may/will be upgraded in the future) and my card runs a bit warm. I'm pretty sure this is in part due to poor air circulation. The card runs at 60C while idle and gets in the mid 70s to low 80s while under load. The only reason it's this cool so far is because I have the side panel off and have a little desk fan blowing cool air back into it. I currently have one of those e-machines cases, and it's getting a little cramped with wires and such. Just looking for a nice looking case with nice cooling for around $100.

You could get a P180 for 105+ shipping at techonweb right now. Its a great case for the money.

I'll definitely keep my eye on that case. I have one more question. How tall are normal atx-mini towers, mid towers, and full towers?

Those specs tended to vary by manufactors but mid tower should have enough slots on the rear to handle fully populated full size ATX mobo. They usually averages about 2 feet in height.

Mini ATX are much shorter and can only have mini ATX board which often means only 1 AGP and 2 PCI or 3 PCI slots. The mini is also cramped and may have an issue with cooling especially if you go with a cheap generic case.

If you want even smaller, there are ITX which is a bit bigger than a typical laptop but usualy can have only 1 5.25" drive, 1 HD, and maybe 1 PCI/AGP card. ITX is quite popular among people who wants to build creative cases and also easily portable.

Full size case is quite huge, easily reaching over 3 feet in height and has enough internal room for 2 PSU and 2 mobo's with all the bells and whistles.

Or you could be creative and build an original case. I don't think anyone's built a WC rig that looks like a water foundain. :D

CM Stacker

I just bought one the other day at Fry's and I am in love with it! No seriously! Im in love! Everyone at the store was staring at the box, and saying "Wow, thats a beautiful case" Even one of the Fry's walking by when I was looking at the display said, "Now, thats a case!" Plus all the positive responses on Newegg, I was sold. It has excellent air flow which made me buy it aswell. For 180 dollars with tax, you pay alittle more but how I like to say... if you going to buy something, buy the right one the first time, or dont buy it at all. I wish I never bought it though, cause I dont think its going to have a rig in there for a very long time... well possible next summer when I get a job! :) or maybe X-Mas :santa:

Back