• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help finding parts for cantenna.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yuriman

Alright, I have my can. And I measured. But where might I find an N type female chassis-mount connector? Also, I need a pigtail to connect the cantenna to my D-Link wifi card (or I can use my likesys, same difference) which I believe needs a male SMA connector. Any recomendations? I found a "cantenna kit" for $30 but thats rediculous... I am looking for something in the $2-10 range.

I was unable to find what I needed on outpost, I went through every category I thought I might find them in.

AMD Phreak said:
Radio service center locally probably has them. Look around for a motorola service center or a kenwood service center.

By "them" I assume you mean the chassis-mount, but where can I get the pig-tail?

They have a kit for something like $32 after shipping, comes with the pigtail and mount, but thats rediculous. Would this be what I need? I cant tell from the picture whether its exactly what I need or not, and they simply call it an "SMA Female Panel Mount".

Attachments

• smafemalepanel.jpg
    smafemalepanel.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 397
When I built mine, I picked everything up at radio shack. And i ghetto modded a cable (forget what its called) I sort of failed with the cantenna though, didnt work much any better than the normal antenna.

for pigtails, hyperlinktech.com hasnt failed us yet, and i believe mouser has the N panel mount connectors. other than that theres some on eba occasionally for like $4 each.

looks good to me, as long as that pigtail fits your card. the pics are nahdy, and be sure to make note of whether or not your card has the pin or the hole for the antenna, they make them both ways, so watch out.

There are many websites detailing the construction of cantennas, all of them referring to a pigtail. A pigtail connects the antenna to the WiFi adaptor. However, any length of cable induces signal loss through impedance of the electromagnetic wave.

This cantenna design does away with the pigtail by using an n-type to reverse polarity male SMA adaptor. This adaptor connects your cantenna directly to a WiFi adaptor without need for a pigtail.

The microwave signal is processed in the adaptor so you can then use a long USB cable to connect from the WiFi adaptor to your computer without signal loss.

The cantenna is directional so you will need something like a tripod to direct and hold the cantenna in place. Expect about a 3dB improvement of the signal, which is roughly a doubling in power, and hopefully many more access points being revealed.

Motorola Service Chennai, Tamil Nadu

Back