• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What should I be running in this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oc jason

p4 3.2g HT 800
Abit IC-7 MAX II intel 875p chipset

At the moment I have 2 sticks of Kingston Hyper X 512mb pc3500, and 2 sticks of generic 256mb pc3200. None of it is overclocked, it is all default voltage and timings.

I would like to have at least 1.5 gigs of memory if not 2 gigs, and they generic has GOT to go, also the Kingston does not like overclocking at all, so was thinking of ditching that, what is a good memory that will OC well, possibly 2 sticks of 1g each ? , what pc???? speed should I shoot for, 3200? 3500? 4000? - its been along time for me to come here so ive missed alot.

also i currently have a GeForce FX 5950 XT OC with all the bells and whistles, would I notice any difference going up to say an 6800/GT/Ultra ?

tyia

Jason, definitely pull the 2X256 generic RAM out. That's preventing you from running dual channel which is hurting your performance. Dual channel requires 2 or 4 matching sticks. So, you could get 2X512 Kingston HyperX PC3500 to match what you already have (but you don't seem happy with that RAM). Or sell all of the RAM and get 2X1024 sticks. I have some 2X512 Kingston HyperX PC3200 that overclocks very well if I feed it 2.8v vdimm. Depends a lot on what IC chips are used. I bet you could get at least 225 FSB out of your KHX if you use more voltage and raise the RAS to CAS delay timing a notch. Also, with the IC7, make sure you disable the last two game accelerator settings. If you decide to get new RAM, consider getting a couple sticks that use TCCD chips. They O/C very well. Upgrading the vid card will help with games, but if you don't play the new first person shooters, you might get by a little longer with what you have.

i have my intel 640 3.2 runnning at 4Ghz using patriot DDR500 running at 250mhz with out any problems, i got it at newegg pretty cheap, i dont think its the best ram for overclocking but its suited me well and is stable at this speed, IT BEEN BE! ha

Back