• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

350$ budget

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Meathead

I was looking at an ATI card for around 350$ but I can't seem to find any PCI-Express versions of the x800xt. All I can find is AGP. Would there be a better buy for 350$? I don't want to flash the card bios or anything.

Here is a very nice deal for a very good card from tigerdirect.com:

Connect 3D Radeon X850 XT Platinum / 256MB GDDR3 / PCI Express / Dual DVI / VIVO / Video Card for $334.99.

If I were to spend that much, though, I would buy this here:

XFX PVT70GUDF7 Geforce 7800GT Video Card - Retail for $379 shipped. This card beats the x850xt pe by a fairly good amount, and offers you SLI capability.

With the ATI card you may be able to go with Crossfire, but I don't know when ATI will launch that, and also when that happens you'll probably need to replace your motherboard.

Both cards are worth the money, though... your call.

Meathead said:
I'll look into that. I just really don't like nvidia but i may just say f*** it and get the 7800GT
Basicly. I did the same thing... I say go for the 7800.

I had a quick question about the ATI's. Does the brand of ati card you buy from matter? I remember when everyone used to just recommend getting an ati brand but they seem to be pretty scarce. Atleast the pci-e versions made by ati.

It's not much more, has better upgradeability, and pwns the ATI (for now).

g0dM@n said:
It's not much more, has better upgradeability, and pwns the ATI (for now).
The powercolor card? Could you explain a bit more about why your statements are true? and btw thank you guys for helping out.

The XFX 7800GT that I linked you to is the best buy on a 7800GT on the market right now. You may find one for like $10 cheaper, but no other card has stock overclocks the way XFX does on the 7800 series cards. Not only that, but I think it's the 2nd cheapest on newegg. Newegg is easier to deal with than tiger, too.

It's up to you, man, but right now the 7800 series cards are the #1 cards out. ATI's x850xt pe is still a killer card, but still a step behind, a big enough step to say that the extra $40 is worth it for the 7800gt.

No matter what decision you make, they are both good deals. It all depends on what you wanna spend.

I've actually decided to get the refurbished x800pro off the ati website. I want to wait for the new ati cards to come out.

Back