• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NHL '06 - September 6th

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lat

Am I the only one totally looking forward to it? (It's supposedly only gonna be $30CAN, to compete with 2k6 pricing)

Well, I guess I am I perennial EA Sports NHL series fan (although I didn't find 2005 that great), but yeah...

(can't wait to start my canucks dynasty)

oh, and of course, I can't complain at the lack of eye candy...they graphics aren't too too shabby, and i'm pretty sure I can still run max settings with 1280x1024 and 4x aa 8x af (well, it was fine on the demo)

gonna be nice, at least this year we will get some updates when the trades start, as last year, :cry: nothing happened...i wanna see what Sydney Crosby is rated :D

the difficulty on 2K5 is a bit easy, so hopefully that is fixed. If I get it it'll be for the 360, and that hinges upon the graphics being outstanding because 2k5 is pretty good.

Lat said:
Am I the only one totally looking forward to it? (It's supposedly only gonna be $30CAN, to compete with 2k6 pricing)

Well, I guess I am I perennial EA Sports NHL series fan (although I didn't find 2005 that great), but yeah...

(can't wait to start my canucks dynasty)

oh, and of course, I can't complain at the lack of eye candy...they graphics aren't too too shabby, and i'm pretty sure I can still run max settings with 1280x1024 and 4x aa 8x af (well, it was fine on the demo)

GO Canucks

do you have any idea if ea finally made this game widescreen?

hockey is still around?

:p

i have to say, hockey games were my 2nd favorite to baseball, and i dont even really like hockey - the games were just so fun to play

i might have to get it

koontz946 said:
hockey is still around?

:p

i have to say, hockey games were my 2nd favorite to baseball, and i dont even really like hockey - the games were just so fun to play

i might have to get it

They are even more fun to play with the speed settings on HIGH!! :cool:

lordkosc said:
They are even more fun to play with the speed settings on HIGH!! :cool:
and with bulldozer puck turned on :D

god i love NHL HITZ.......funniest thing ever!

a 150MPH slapshot hits a guy in the face........and he flies :D

hainer36 said:
and with bulldozer puck turned on :D

god i love NHL HITZ.......funniest thing ever!

a 150MPH slapshot hits a guy in the face........and he flies :D

That should also remove his head, cleanly. No blood, it'll make an air barrier so the blood stays inside the head and the body LOL

yeah, but screw the EA sports games. ESPN games to rule them all.

But nothing can touch real hockey. I haven't been looking forward to the games, but to the season!

GO BRUINS!

SolidxSnake said:
That should also remove his head, cleanly. No blood, it'll make an air barrier so the blood stays inside the head and the body LOL

yeah, but screw the EA sports games. ESPN games to rule them all.

But nothing can touch real hockey. I haven't been looking forward to the games, but to the season!

GO BRUINS!
for that blood part......im glad i kept NHL '93 last hockey game to have blood

and GO DALLAS!!!!!! ya thats right, im canadian and i root for BIG D....

hainer36 said:
for that blood part......im glad i kept NHL '93 last hockey game to have blood

and GO DALLAS!!!!!! ya thats right, im canadian and i root for BIG D....

lol, dallas? Detroit is soo much cooler than dallas...

but thats right. Don't root for the canadiens. They are lying, caniving cheaters! Were you watching the '03/'04 season playoffs with the Bruins vs Canadiens? Horrible.

SolidxSnake said:
lol, dallas? Detroit is soo much cooler than dallas...

but thats right. Don't root for the canadiens. They are lying, caniving cheaters! Were you watching the '03/'04 season playoffs with the Bruins vs Canadiens? Horrible.
i dislike the maple leafs and the canadians.....as around me, thats all i ever hear of, but i get used to it.....i just say who has won a cup recently :D

plus theres more canadian born players on dallas than most canadian teams...and funny, my 2nd cousin actually played for Dallas back in 2001, when they had alot of injuries, (Ryan Christie), so that and the fact that i was probably one of the bigger Ed Belfour fans, as i was a chicago fan when i was little, then follwed eddie to dallas (didnt go to san jose with him...as they sucked too much) but when he went to Dallas, i went with him.....until he moved to Toronto.....which i said i would never root for.....so i stayed with dallas

sooo...who else has it? :p i gotta say, it's decent once you manage to mod it right

still trying to figure out the perfect sliders

YEAH GO LEAFS GO! :p
wow if its good i might just go and get it... ive been looking foward to the real season a lot tho... in fact.. im about to go skating right now :p

First off let me say I am a long time supporter of EA's NHL series, started with nhl93 on the snes and switched over to pc only since 95.

Now for my view on this years outing... ATROCOIUS, this year's game is a total money plug and nothing else, for the first time I felt like my money would have been better served bieng flushed down the toilet. Lets start the analysis (game played on high difficulty with tweaked sliders to try and up the difficulty):
Good:
Better sound than previous years (less distortion)
Great skating animations

Bad:
Utterly useless goaltending, this is my biggest gripe.. why on earth did ea revert to the terrible goaltending of years past? 2003-2004 were examples of bad goalie ai but this years version takes the cake, goalies flopping all over the ice allowing way too many goals, Cheap easy to exploit goals are commonplace this year (one timers pretty much always go in both by me and the computer opponents, wraparounds same deal, rushing the net and cutting across the crease same deal). I mean when set to 5minute periods and the score is 6-3 after the first in my favour something is just wrong, and I have no trouble potting an average of 5-6 goals per game.

Utterly useless defensive ai, no longer does the cpu controlled ai on your team actually try to help you out at all.. they always just stand around looking stupid, not to mention the opposing teams defence that also stands around letting you manouver endlessly in the offensive zone.

Totally absurd bugginess, where to start on this one.. oh wait lets see, them saying they support the Saitek P880 only to find it has major control issues in the game (the demo showed this same prob, but was not fixed for the retail version) wherein the only workaround is to manually edit a registry key that tricks the game into thinking the saitek is a "Logitech Dual Action". Now onto the main menu that absolutely will not show up unless you have Vsync set to ON, and couple that with a new ice surface that causes severe hitching issues ( I may get blasted on this one but I've tested thoroughly: fraps reports a solid 60fps during gameplay yet the game hitches constantly, adjustment to all the visual sliders has shown that no setting causes this but the on ice arena detail, turning the setting down 1 notch to where the ice trail that stays for all of 2 seconds when a player turns is OFF and the game all of a sudden runs smooth as glass). Also the graphics are just about the same as last years version, allthough this year's player models look way too stocky (especially the bigger players).

Well, that is my view on this years outing from ea sports.. to me they totally dropped the ball on this years version and have left a sour taste in this 13 year dedicated customer.. each year since 2003 the pc versions seem less and less polished compared to thier console bretherin and this years version is the absolute worst of them yet. I will be sticking with nhl2005 this year as I believe it is a much better game in almost every aspect, and I remain steadfast in my beliefs that both ea and 2k sports should have done the right thing by not releasing a hockey title this year and having a 2 year developmental cycle to revamp thier graphical engines ai systems and control schemes rather than just rehashing pretty much the same game they have been making with minor tweaks bolted on.

If you read the whole post cudos to you... sorry it was so long but I just needed to get all this off my chest.

Last edited:
12am said:
First off let me say I am a long time supporter of EA's NHL series, started with nhl93 on the snes and switched over to pc only since 95.

Now for my view on this years outing... ATROCOIUS, this year's game is a total money plug and nothing else, for the first time I felt like my money would have been better served bieng flushed down the toilet. Lets start the analysis (game played on high difficulty with tweaked sliders to try and up the difficulty):
Good:
Better sound than previous years (less distortion)
Great skating animations

Bad:
Utterly useless goaltending, this is my biggest gripe.. why on earth did ea revert to the terrible goaltending of years past? 2003-2004 were examples of bad goalie ai but this years version takes the cake, goalies flopping all over the ice allowing way too many goals, Cheap easy to exploit goals are commonplace this year (one timers pretty much always go in both by me and the computer opponents, wraparounds same deal, rushing the net and cutting across the crease same deal). I mean when set to 5minute periods and the score is 6-3 after the first in my favour something is just wrong, and I have no trouble potting an average of 5-6 goals per game.

Utterly useless defensive ai, no longer does the cpu controlled ai on your team actually try to help you out at all.. they always just stand around looking stupid, not to mention the opposing teams defence that also stands around letting you manouver endlessly in the offensive zone.

Totally absurd bugginess, where to start on this one.. oh wait lets see, them saying they support the Saitek P880 only to find it has major control issues in the game (the demo showed this same prob, but was not fixed for the retail version) wherein the only workaround is to manually edit a registry key that tricks the game into thinking the saitek is a "Logitech Dual Action". Now onto the main menu that absolutely will not show up unless you have Vsync set to ON, and couple that with a new ice surface that causes severe hitching issues ( I may get blasted on this one but I've tested thoroughly: fraps reports a solid 60fps during gameplay yet the game hitches constantly, adjustment to all the visual sliders has shown that no setting causes this but the on ice arena detail, turning the setting down 1 notch to where the ice trail that stays for all of 2 seconds when a player turns is OFF and the game all of a sudden runs smooth as glass). Also the graphics are just about the same as last years version, allthough this year's player models look way too stocky (especially the bigger players).

Well, that is my view on this years outing from ea sports.. to me they totally dropped the ball on this years version and have left a sour taste in this 13 year dedicated customer.. each year since 2003 the pc versions seem less and less polished compared to thier console bretherin and this years version is the absolute worst of them yet. I will be sticking with nhl2005 this year as I believe it is a much better game in almost every aspect, and I remain steadfast in my beliefs that both ea and 2k sports should have done the right thing by not releasing a hockey title this year and having a 2 year developmental cycle to revamp thier graphical engines ai systems and control schemes rather than just rehashing pretty much the same game they have been making with minor tweaks bolted on.

If you read the whole post cudos to you... sorry it was so long but I just needed to get all this off my chest.

wow....I thought this years version was supposed to be a revival of past greatness...but, I've often wondered if the programers have ever played a game of hockey in their life...oh well, hopefully the xbox 360 version will be better

yea I had high hopes for this years version... but at least we have some real hockey to watch this year :)... I bet the xb360 will have slightly improved graphics but the gameplay will still be sorely lacking.

Code:
Spot's NHL 06 Slider Settings

Rules
-----
Skill:		Difficult
Period Length:	5 minutes
Penalties:	Full
Offsides:	Delayed
Icing:		No Touch
2 Line Pass:	Off
Hero Rating:	Off
Injuries:	On
Tie:		5 minutes then shootout
***. Coach:	Yes

Gameplay Settings
-----------------

Basic
-----
Game Speed:	0
Puck Control:	0
Fight Diff.:	3
Fatigue Effect:	6
Injuries:	7

Skating
-------
Speed Burst:	1
Fatigue Rec.:	2
Player Acc.:	1

Checking
--------
Hitting Power:	6
Hitting Diff.:	4
Aggression:	7
Poke Eff.:	2

Passing
-------
Pass Assist:	0
Pass Speed:	0
Saucer Pass:	1
Pass Inter.:	7
AI Pass Freq.:	5
Goalie Passing:	1

Shooting
--------
Shot Accuracy:	0
Shot Power:	0
Dump Speed:	3
Dump Height:	3
Soft Dump:	2
SD. Height:	4
AI Dump Freq.:	7

Defense
-------
Shot Blocking:	7
Hook Eff.:	2
Penalty Shot:	2
Goalie Cover:	7
i've been using this guy's sliders, except with penalties at 3/5...and i'm getting decently accurate games

i much prefer playing nhl series games simmish rather than arcadeish

yea I totally agree with you, I'd rather have it more sim like rather than arcadeish... I will try those slider settings you posted there, except for injuries being set to thier highest, as that would just create way too many injuries when playing in a dynasty mode.

Back