• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Decent soldering iron

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyreal

Which one here is a decent soldering iron. i will be doing some slight soldering, probably not any volt modding but i need it at the worse times. I am hopeing to spend less than 20 dollars. Here is a link:

Canadian Tires: Soldering Irons

thanks guys.

EDIT:

Im liking this one: Soldering iron 1

because it has a stand and other features but its a tad expensive.

Iron 2
This one is ultra cheap. is it any good?

Have u concidered going to radioshack and picking up from them instead of worrying about shipping and handeling?

Grab a Weller 15w and a Weller 30w, or an adjustable, that goes 15w+. Weller is badass LOL

That last one, the 25w one, it looks EXACTLY the same as the RS one. Just grab a Weller, or a cheap RS 15w grounded tip (thats what I use, set me back $8).

Second edit:

if I had to go with anything listed there, i'd go with this:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortme...<>ast_id=1408474396670271&bmUID=1125712446556

THIRD EDIT:

just type in your zip code, click english, and click on the link again, it will load up fine.

The nice thing about the first iron you listed is that it can heat at both 20w and 40w. I have that exact model and i'm quite happy with it. The tip is fine enough for some pretty delicate soldering (it feels sharp) and the stand is a very nice feature.

What wattage to get depends on what the iron will be used for. Contrary to
what some believe, a high watt iron doesn't get hotter, just has more heat in
reserve for soldering larger objects.
So keep that in mind. No sense spending extra on a high watt iron if you don't need it.

I purchased my Soldering iron from walmart for a nice rate of $4.97 with a tube of solder for $1.47.

For all that I've used it for, (wiring molexes, soldering LEDs, light stuff..) it's just fine. Sure it's cheaply made, but it works well enough for me. ;)

Get a brand name soldering iron (Weller, hako) because repacement and different tips are easier to find. Fry's has a good selection. I personally have the radioshack 15w and use it mostly for solderind very small parts. The replacement tips wears out fast (copper-nickel) but costs only $.99.

i'd go with a hakko station, they are the best, ive had mine 6 ish years, ceramic heater tips are quite nice, heats fully in about 30-40 seconds, but then again i do production work with my iron.

a gun is a high wattage iron, and i wouldnt go near md work with it. hell i wouldnt go farther than wires.

in my guide i used a radioshack 15/30 watt witchable iron, i think it was 8 or 12 bux, and it's sufficient enough for that tiny work i was doin. i also own a 15 watt grounded tip like solidxsnake has, a 40 watt RS, a 40 watt desldering iron, my 70 watt edsyn controlled station, a 100 watt gun, and a 240 watt weller gun, and a set of oxyacetelyne torches and a mig welder for stuff that the weller cant handle.... haha. ive used the weller to melt blocks of solid lead, its a freakin beast.it was like $60 if i recall correctly tho. i need new tips for my edsyn, i was gonna roder ome but they're nazi and have a inimum order of $25, and wanted to argue with me about the payment methods listed on their site, saying they didnt state they accepted personal checks or money orders, when its a frickin option on the page.... so i said screw the edsyn ill get a weller eventually, when the money and impulse buying is right. want a grounded tip temp regulated one, gonna be a few pennies.

Back