• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So whats my speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

edwardaune

I just got a new lappy and I am confused as far as the speed goes for it. It is supposed to have a Pent M 1.73 and it states that but it also list 795MHz next ti the amount of ram. I called Hateway but I really dont trust their tech support so I thought I would ask the real experts, you all. They say that the 795 represents the FSB, but I dunno.

desktop.jpg

sounds like your multiplier is at 6 instead of 13 which means it's throttling, download cpu-z to see what your multiplier is at, is this on AC or battery? This also could be a temperature problem.

Do something crazy like prime 95 or encode a dvd or fold and it will kick up to 1.73ghz

centrino technology automatically adjusts the processor speed to your needs... so if you only need 1.4ghz of power to do a particular task then the chip will drop down to 1.4ghz to save power and have the chip run cooler... This feature is called speedstep and this technology is incorporated into all of the new intel notebooks and even some desktops. You do not need to be worried about this feature making your computer slow because the chip can switch speeds within a hundredths of a millasecond second and it will never run the chip slower than the minimum speed that you need for a current task.

you can download a program to control every aspect of speedstep so you can set minimum and maximum speeds, monitor temperatures, and control voltages of your processor. The program is called centrino hardware control.

If you go into the power control panel, and set it to always on, it will run at full speed.

Beat me to it :)

Get used to this area. If you want your quoted battery life you will need to switch it back to max battery.

When I was on the phone with Gateway I asked her if it had anything to do with the fact that it Pent M or if had anything to do with Centrino. She said no its just now fast the processor communicates with the ram, um it has a 533MHz FSB. At that point I got off the phone and posted the thread. The last pent I owned was a PIII 550, so you can see Im not that knowledgable in the Intel area, Im used AMD. I knew I could count on you guys and thanks for all of the help.

Its just intels speed step. At idle the chip will drop its multi to run at 800MHZ. When a certain amount of load is applied, it will kick up to full speed. This helps save power and create less heat which is very important to a laptop.

Back