• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case/PSU and other questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Piazza_213

Hello everyone, I'd first like to thank you all for the wealth of knowledge you've provided here over the forums. I had a few questions on a new system I was building and wanted to know what you all thought and if you could provide me with any suggestions. Keep in mind here, I'm trying to build the fastest possible system w/o tweaking settings to much. Here goes.

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard

BFG Tech BFGR78256GTXOC Geforce 7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card (X2)

AMD Athlon 64 FX57 San Diego 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADAFX57BNBOX

CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model TWINX1024-3200XLPRO

Western Digital Caviar SE WD2000JB 200GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM

Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive OEM

SONY 16X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW, Model DRU800A - Retail

That covers the main parts, if you had any better suggestions on RAM or other parts I'd appreciate it. One of my main questions was what case would you guys suggest, one that looks nice and has good/excellent air flow. As of now I'm not concerned with any kind of water-cooling.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Get 2x1gb sticks, if you're going to get the top parts, get the best/most ram as well. I'm not knowledgable about what ram is good though unfortunatly. For a powersupply, get either an ocz 520w powerstream or a PC power and cooling 510w sli. Either of those would serve you well. As far as the fx-57, that's the fastest as long as you're doing single core applications (like gaming) if you do anything video or imaging related (rendering or heavy heavy photoshop) then get a duel core. Look into a lian li for cases. Some of the best money can buy (and quite a bit of it too).

Piazza_213 said:
One of my main questions was what case would you guys suggest, one that looks nice and has good/excellent air flow. As of now I'm not concerned with any kind of water-cooling.

Thanks in advance for any help.
But you might be in the future?
The CM Stacker is probably the most easily configurable case for any installation.

If you have the cash, which it looks like you do, would be a Lian-Li. They have great cooling options, motherboard tray, and a lot of room. Seems to be a forum favorite.

Also if your looking for the fastest computer, get 4 sticks of 1gb Corsair XMS.

Thanks for all the help everyone. And yes clocker, I've always been interested by watercooling but for now I think I'll be alright, but maybe in the future I'll check it out.

Son1990 will I have to manually adjust timings or what-not w/ that or will everything be automatically as it should be? Would you also have any specific model type of lian-li you would recomend? I'd need the one that had the best airflow and space, and I'll just use one of the PSU that GKJ suggested. Thanks again everyone.

Also if your looking for the fastest computer, get 4 sticks of 1gb Corsair XMS.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't it be faster if I instead went w/ either 1gb or 2gb, made up of XMS in 512 sticks due to their lower CAS latencies, or am is this incorrect?

Back