• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best-Air Cooled Case?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Piazza_213

I'm about to build a new computer, but I'm stuck on which case exactly is right. I know everyone here is partial towards Lian-Li, so I was wondering which case (using just fans etc) keeps the PC the coolest (Lian-li or other). I plan on running two 7800's in SLI so I'll need good airflow around them as well. Thanks in advance for your input.

It's somewhat a personal preference, and depending on how you want to set up your fans/cooling. ie- loud/quiet, positive/nuetral/negative pressure.

I like the Antec P180. It's got 2 120mm exhaust fans, to put out a ton of air at a minimum noise level. Either way you could always buy a case you like then mod it for more fans.

I'd say either...

Lian Li V COOL PC-V1000B Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ($205)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811112072

Lian Li PC-V2000B Black Computer Case ($250)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811112074

Well these 2 cases I'd get if I'd get a new case. The big fans that it can allow, also the reversed positino of the motherboard keepign the CPU down in a cool spot, and the PSU in its own compartment.

The UFO case, is definatly the ultimate air cooled one, that thing has so many spots to put fan's its not funny.

Thanks for the welcome and info everyone. I had a question in regards to the P-180. Will it be large enough for two 7800's?

I would look carefully at both the P180 and the Lian-li V-series cases and see if you like the internal compartmentalization.
Personally, I don't.

The CM Stacker offers more options for PSU placement and motherboard orientation (ATX or pseudo-BTX) than the others and will accept more fans than any other case I've ever owned.
Currently my Stacker is running 5x120mm fans without modifying the case at all and the airflow is superb.

Cooling any SLI pair is going to be a challenge (although I understand that the 7800s run cooler than my 6800), but the Stacker's grilled side panels (I am using two of the round grill panels) makes it a bit easier.

Good luck.

Yeh, with the stacker you can simply zip tie a 120mm fan if you don't want to waste your money on another harddrive rack (Unless you have that many HDD's) Thats what ive done anyways, dropped my temps by about 5*c (Panaflo fans, btw)

crana said:
Yeh, with the stacker you can simply zip tie a 120mm fan if you don't want to waste your money on another harddrive rack
I have four hard drives (fourth is on the way- thanks Massraptor) and dispensed with the CM drive enclosure altogether.

No zip ties either. :p

Back