• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pentium 4 2.4Ghz C northwood query.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

McGowan

Hey, I am trying to work out the overclocking potential of my above mentioned processor but I'm having difficulties in tying down exactly what model I've got, I am running CPUInfo and this is the information it is giving me:

--
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 Northwood
Clock speed: 2400
System clock: 100
Multiplyer: 24x
Revision: C1
Socket: 478 (FC-PGA2)
FSB: FSB400(QDR)
--

My confusion is with the FSB, on all reviews and overclocking quides they ay the bus is 800mhz, can someone clear this up for me?

Also I'm using the shuttle FB65 motherboard, is that a reasonable board for overclocking? The CPU currently idles at 30-32 and at full load using TOAST 48.

Thanks for any info.

you've got an "A" version of the northwood. a P4 "C" would have a multiplier of 12, and an FSB base clock of 200. P4's use a quad pumped bus, so you have what they call in marketing a "400FSB" processor, 100 x 4.

those northwood A's did not overclock well past 2.6ghz, if memory serves me correct. your luck may vary though.

Ahh I wont bother then, thanks for the heads up, I clocked the graphics card up and it has improved my BF2 graphics enough to make me happy! :-D

That's a 2.4 400 bus Northwood C1 stepping. Technically not a 2.4A, because those were 533 bus Prescotts. Most of those C1 stepping CPUs would O.C to at least 3 gig with decent cooling and if you lock the AGP/PCI.

Check my sig. Same 2.4A northwood with C1 stepping.

Does 3.15 GHz no problem at all, can run at 3.25 GHz, at about 3.4 GHz it runs out of gas.
All on stock volts. (no cpu voltage option on my board).

batboy said:
That's a 2.4 400 bus Northwood C1 stepping. Technically not a 2.4A, because those were 533 bus Prescotts. Most of those C1 stepping CPUs would O.C to at least 3 gig with decent cooling and if you lock the AGP/PCI.

Ditto

first gen wasnt bad at all, Larva was running a 1.8 at 3.4 :santa2:

D

All depends on the stepping. The newer the better chance of overclocking.
There were a few D1 stepping 400FSB northwoods. They were sweet.

Weren't most of the D1-stepping Northwoods 800FSB though (200x4)? At least the ones with hyperthreading were.

I know there were a few 400FSB D1 Celerons and some 533mhz FSB Prescotts, but I wasn't aware that any of the "C" designated Northwoods were 400FSB chips.

Edit: arghghghghheh

Last edited:
How the heck was it bumped- didn't check the thread dates :bang head

Was responding to another thread (actually current one) about a guy with a P4 chip and didn't think to look at the post above mine when this popped up in the queue. Since the other was pretty oddball to me I just figured there were a bunch of people out there using really old tech in their main system(s).

Yep.

Back