• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading Compaq V2000z from Sempron to Turion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

imacurious

Not an overclocking question but possibly of interest to others in the market for a faster laptop.

Where I am there is a *considerable* price difference between the Compaq Presarion V2000z Sempron version and the Turion version

In my town the Sempron version with all the other features I want (other than CPU) is on-sale for $499 after a bunch of rebates. Turion version with the *same* features (disk, ram, Brightview, IGP ports...) is over $1000 in my currency.

Street price of a Turion cpu ML37 is about $250.

HP's on-line ordering system ( http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/cto/computer_customize_components.do )seems to indicate that when ordering a custom-built laptop direct from HP you'd simply choose to order whichever CPU you'd care to have in the laptop but otherwise the systems are the same.

Where I live in Canada there is enough of a difference to make it worthwhile to buy a Sempron version and consider swapping cpu's. If I can resell the Sempron cpu on Ebay then there's even more of a savings.

All my suppositions ares assuming that there are no motherboard differences between the two as shipped from the factory.

So bottom line - are the motherboards the same as shipped in a factory-configured Sempron and a factory-configured Turion, and is a cpu swap mechanically easy to do? Does anyone here know?

I suspect that the MoBo's are identical and the cpu can be swapped easily but I'm looking for confirmation .

Thanks

Back