• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who's using a GPS? What's your software solution?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cursor

I took the plunge and got a new GPS off of eBay. I'll get it in the mail on Monday, but I've been researching GPS software all week.

Here's the hardware:
http://www.holux.com.tw/Temp web/GR-236.htm

The auction I won comes with MS Streets 2005, which I understand is a very basic GPS system. I'd like to be able to get spoken turn by turn directions and all of the other sweet goodness that comes with the higher end products.

I've looked at a couple of 'full featured' software packages, and the one that I'm coming up with as the "winner" is Mapopolis, and here's why: It has a free trial, so I'll know what I'm buying, they release public betas, and it's slightly cheaper than other packages ($80 instead of $130).

I was thinking hard about Tomtom Navigator 5, but if you upgrade your device, then you have to buy all new software--THAT SUCKS! Who do they think they are, Microsoft? :bang head

The other candidate is iGuidance. It's also frickin' expensive, but it seems to have had good reviews, and it looks pretty sweet online.

Does anyone have experience with this stuff here? If so:

1. What do you recommend?

2. Where can I get it on the cheap? So far, I'm only finding websites that sell at the 'retail' price, and that kind of sucks. I'd like to spend no more than $50 if I can.

I prefer Delorme's software. Street Atlas and the handheld editions. The price is reasonable ($50 or so for the software alone, or $120ish for the software with a USB connected GPS unit).

www.delorme.com or it's generally sold at Best Buy, CompUSA, Fry's, Office Depot, etc.

I also use Delorme and accept it (like/love are not works I can use for that software). Stay away from the M$ 'street and trips' I have used the pocket version and would use words that get censored.

I've received the GPS and it is GREAT! I'd recommend the Holux to anyone. It is super tiny. I even like the compass key chain that came in the box. It included both car and wall chargers, too. Nice package. I was a simple installation and connection, too.

Regarding the MS Streets product. It really does suck. Not only does it not have voice directions, it doesn't even have WRITTEN directions. The only thing that I can see is myself moving along the map. I mean, that's not useful at all! I guess my next move will be to buy some decent software.

I've heard some rather negative things about Delorme on other forums, so I'll probably shy away from it.

Korben, can you tell me what you like about it?

cursor said:
I've heard some rather negative things about Delorme on other forums, so I'll probably shy away from it.

Korben, can you tell me what you like about it?

Well, I've never had any negative issues with the Delorme software other than the occasional map error (which is pretty rare). No crashes, odd behavior, or any other problems that I can recall.

Nothing really impressive about the program. It just works for me. Enter your starting address, search for a location, or use your GPS position as a route start, enter your stops or destination, and it maps a route for you. Get off track and it will direct you back. Voice control is a bit dodgy, but that's also using a built-in mic on a laptop in a noisy car. You can customize a lot of its options, such as map rotation, auto center on GPS, arrow size, which types of roads you prefer, etc. It also will show what services are available off interstate exits.

Back