• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build laptop from parts on Ebay?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

plecostos

Registered
I was interested because of all the torn down laptop parts for sale on ebay... you could pretty easily buy all the parts for a say... Dell 600M, and then put em together for bout half price...

I know there's lots of compatibility problems/ warrenty issues / risk of defective components... but has anyone done this? :eh?: Thanks...

maybe but I would question if it would be worth the effort, + you have a lot of issues, for example the LCD controller is often integrated into the motherboard

i have done this with an older setup.. it in fact was pretty painless.. as long as you know what your getting and you make sure you buy from reputable people.. that right there may pose a problem for most..

you may end up getting three or foiur broken down laptops before one is completely assembled... you may get lucky and only need two ..

find what your looking for... make sure in the end what your buying has all the working parts.. thats it .. pretty simple..

i doubt you will find a quality system though for real cheap.. its hard but can be done with alot of searching and swapping ..

I am not sure if you could buy the actual laptop peace by peace. But I know you can get some really nice barebone laptops, where you put in the cpu, ram, hard drives, and in some cases video card. Asus makes a few nice barebones. My dream is a Asus w5a. Visit http://www.notebookreview.com/.
Thanks

Meh, I bought a Inspiron 5100 with a fried motherboard, for $100 and a few PC parts I couldn't/didn't use.

Then I bought a gig of ram for $100, and a motherboard for $300.

Not a bad deal, really.

If someone is selling one with a "Bad Motherboard" or something like that, check for price on new motherboards BEFORE buying. Some of them get pretty pricey :p.

That is where my IBM Thinkpads come from. But, I buy quite a few carcasses, for parts, and then buy parts or broken lappies. Since I have a bunch of mobos, I tend to look for a lappy with a BIOS locked mobo.

steve

Heh, I did this with my laptop (spec in sig) bought all the parts from ebay except the hd (deal on another forum) but total from everything is ~$400. LCD, Mobo, cpu, etc were all from different sellers, just gotta wait for the right deal and alot of researching to see whats compatible, espically with the lcd.

Back