• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New ASRock Motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
brywalker said:
I read everything, I have oc the memory - no problem - HTT - no problem - cpu - goes nowhere. Not even stable 2.3 @ 1.4v. I can do 2.5 in windows at 1.4v but not even remotely stable - on that note, at 1.35 it won't even boot at 2.5 so I am guessing voltage!
Yes. vcore mod will do the job. Betta1 bios good overclocker. asrock's 1.2 bios suppose to take care of cold boot and unstibility. But betta1 has also solved this problem. Lowering the AGP apparatus will increase overclocking for some reason. Most good oc's have it @ 128mb. 256 is a waste anyway since your agp has its own mem. also try different HTT's (200x3,200x4) 200x5
has caused some problems. On my chaintech ULi1689(older version) my HTT is at 232x5=1160- normal would be 1000mhz. It increases as you increase cpu fsb. I would imagine it applies here too. so if you have the HTT @ 5x and your cpu fsb @ 250 the Hypertransport (bus) will be @ 5x250=1250 that may be too high. I would lower it to 4x to get 1000, or close to it. This has nothing to do w/ cpu fsb. it is the NB, SB hypertransport speed. and 1000 is normal. over 1200 may be too much. Others may explain this better than I and correct me if I am wrong.
But try your HTT @ 3x, or 4x see what happens. AGAIN, I emphasize not to be confused by this HTT. YOUR CPU multiplier is what increases or decreases the cpu speed (300x8, 290x9, 250x10, etc)
Just be patient and have faith, In the end I am confident that this mobo will get you there.

ok here is the money question for me... my board is dying and I want to upgrade instead of just replacing... I am not to much of an overclocker, I just come here for the joyous good times... but is this board good stock for someone that wants the AGP for now and to upgrade to a pci-e card later... because I just can't afford to do both... also what exactly is SATA... I haev been running the same system for far too long and have lost touch with all the new technology....

rseven said:
FYI- I have shipped boards back to Asus twice and each time they sent me a new board. Good luck with the ASRock!

This is gonna be an interesting week for me. Got my ASUS board back today and it said the error was in the BIOS ("BIOS ESCD Fail). And the solution said "Reworked" :shrug: Your guess is as good as mine as to what that means. But, nevertheless, I got the A7N8X back in and that slowwww PC-Chips temporary mobo out. Good to have a backup, but what a slow backup! Everything seems to be working well. Just have to figure out what "Reworked" means.

Tomorrow, FedEx will be back here with my new ASRock board (but I won't get the CPU for another couple weeks :(...) Can't wait to see it in action. Will post my ground level experiences with it when it arrives.

Razorclaw212 said:
ok here is the money question for me... my board is dying and I want to upgrade instead of just replacing... I am not to much of an overclocker, I just come here for the joyous good times... but is this board good stock for someone that wants the AGP for now and to upgrade to a pci-e card later... because I just can't afford to do both... also what exactly is SATA... I haev been running the same system for far too long and have lost touch with all the new technology....
Well this board is pretty much your only choice than, isn't it? :p

RazorClaw, SATA refers to serial ATA, as oppose to parallel ATA. It is the new hard drive w/ narrow cable and is faster than regular IDE hard drive. SATA is a little faster than old HDD w/ 1.5GB/s speed, but SATAII is @3.GB/s. It also suppose to be quieter.
Costs almost the same as Parallel HDD.

I would have to echo that emphatically!! Deer PSU's are, indeed, no better than paperweights. I picked up an Antec 500w PSU a few weeks ago that is borderline on the 12v rail. So, I will see how that goes with the ASRock when I get it up and running with the CPU.

RebelsHaven said:
I can verify that there is no overclocking difference when using either AGP or a PCX Video Card... I'm now running 9X320 with a AGP card....

There does seem to be something that makes Windows freeze at 275-320 on occasion, but once it doesn't do it, it never does unless one plays with the BIOS. Letting the system sit for 5 minutes with no power to the PSU, and then boot, seems to make a difference. It may even be my Tagan 480W PSU, so I swapped in a 450W Allied.... More to follow...
WOW, Awesome results Rebel.Thanks for updates, gotta check your thread again. BTW are you using both PCIe and AGP simultaneously? If so you may be running out of juice.
edited:sorry for spelling poop.

Last edited:
Just a reminder,
You should install a fresh win OS because your former motherboard drivers have a trace in win registry and could cause a hardware conflict.
Best to format your HDD and then install OS. Of course you have already backed up your files on a CD,. Install OS first, then asrock drivers, programs and files last. If you don’t need raid, set bios as IDE for SATA HDD, and CD drive as first boot. Right after goes to win installation press F6 and winxp will see it as SCSI drive, and then follow instructions(format and partioning).

ochungry said:
WOW, Awesome results Rebel.Thanks for updates, gotta check your thread aging. BTW are you using both PCIe and AGP simultaneously? If so you may be running out of juice.

No, 1 Video Card at a time...

Well, my board arrived. It's pretty dang BIG! I believe it's the same size as my A7N8X board. For some reason, I thought it would be smaller.

This is my FIRST foray into 64 Bit CPUs/motherboards. I have a couple questions.

My Power Supply has Dual +12v Rails. One is clearly marked for PCI-E. The other adds on to the main power plug to make the 20-pin a 24-pin. One rail is rated for 17A while the other is rated for 19A. Not sure which one is which. Would the 17A be good enough to run PCI-Express video with no problems?

Also, is there a guide somewhere on how to install an Athlon 64 (CPU and Heatsink)? This is the first time I have ever dealt with this kind of conviguration, as I said.

Since it has 4 memory slots, I was thinking of just adding a DIMM to the 3 I already have: (2x 256mb Crucial DDR400, 1x512mb Wintec-Ampo DDR400). Could I add a 1gb DIMM to that mix, or would that cause problems?

RebelsHaven said:
This is one of 9-64 Bit test systems. I don't really use these systems other then quantify issues, fixes, and report overclock results on my forum..... Always a new install to start testing new boards... :D

Thanks!
The reminder was for those new to building systems and overclocking-not you.
I knew you'r an expert seeing your results.

axess68 said:
Well, my board arrived. It's pretty dang BIG! I believe it's the same size as my A7N8X board. For some reason, I thought it would be smaller.

This is my FIRST foray into 64 Bit CPUs/motherboards. I have a couple questions.

My Power Supply has Dual +12v Rails. One is clearly marked for PCI-E. The other adds on to the main power plug to make the 20-pin a 24-pin. One rail is rated for 17A while the other is rated for 19A. Not sure which one is which. Would the 17A be good enough to run PCI-Express video with no problems?

Also, is there a guide somewhere on how to install an Athlon 64 (CPU and Heatsink)? This is the first time I have ever dealt with this kind of conviguration, as I said.
Since it has 4 memory slots, I was thinking of just adding a DIMM to the 3 I already have: (2x 256mb Crucial DDR400, 1x512mb Wintec-Ampo DDR400). Could I add a 1gb DIMM to that mix, or would that cause problems?
You should use the plug marked for PCIe into Video card.
The CPU comes w/ fan/heatsink. Most recommend removing the thermal tape and use arctic silver. Clean the surface of heatsink where contacts CPU, and apply a thin layer of arctic silver to cover entire surface. Use a flat knife to smooth it out. Check the stickies in this forum, there are a lot of detailed instructions on everything.
The rams need to be the same size to work on dual channel (2x256, 2x512, and 2x1g) if you use your 3 different sets you lose 1T and dual. If your 512 is a good ram, buy another w/ same spec. I think your 2x256 are single side (single bank-chips on one side) and you should be able to run in 1T in this setting
---> 2x256 +2x512. This will give you 1.5gig mem and enough to play BF2.
Check your 512 ram and if single side (some crucial are singleside in 512).
Then you could do: 2x512+2x1g, 4x512. And still ok in 1T.
4DIMMS double sides will run in 2T. But some say the difference in performance between 1T and 2T, is minimal, and compensated w/ more memory. Most people use 2x1gig if want more mem, and overclocking it is easier than 4x.
One more suggestion: don’t spend tons of money on high $ rams, its a rip-off.
I will prove it to you down the line when we discuss what ram to get for Asrock. Beware of those in forum(s) luring you to products of their interest and ready to empty your pocket.

ochungry said:
You should use the plug marked for PCIe into Video card.
The CPU comes w/ fan/heatsink. Most recommend removing the thermal tape and use arctic silver. Clean the surface of heatsink where contacts CPU, and apply a thin layer of arctic silver to cover entire surface. Use a flat knife to smooth it out. Check the stickies in this forum, there are a lot of detailed instructions on everything.
The rams need to be the same size to work on dual channel (2x256, 2x512, and 2x1g) if you use your 3 different sets you lose 1T and dual. If your 512 is a good ram, buy another w/ same spec. I think your 2x256 are single side (single bank-chips on one side) and you should be able to run in 1T in this setting
---> 2x256 +2x512. This will give you 1.5gig mem and enough to play BF2.
Check your 512 ram and if single side (some crucial are singleside in 512).
Then you could do: 2x512+2x1g, 4x512. And still ok in 1T.
4DIMMS double sides will run in 2T. But some say the difference in performance between 1T and 2T, is minimal, and compensated w/ more memory. Most people use 2x1gig if want more mem, and overclocking it is easier than 4x.
One more suggestion: don’t spend tons of money on high $ rams, its a rip-off.
I will prove it to you down the line when we discuss what ram to get for Asrock. Beware of those in forum(s) luring you to products of their interest and ready to empty your pocket.

I have a tube of Arctic Silver 5 which I am using now for my Socket-A setup. I will apply it where the pad was on the heatsink. I know how to apply it in the good way. I've had a lot of practice lately. :cool:

I have the Crucial 256mb DIMMs set up in Dual Channel right now: 3.0-3-3-8 @200mhz, and the 512mb Wintec DIMM running 2.5-3-3-8 @200mhz. All are PC3200 DDR400 RAM. Do those timings sound right? It's what Everest is reporting. Can I overclock them? Are they already since I have the FSB running at 175mhz(x2) instead of 166mhz? The FSB "effective clock" listed on Everest is 352mhz.

The Wintec is a double sided DIMM. The Crucials are single sided.

axess68 said:
I have a tube of Arctic Silver 5 which I am using now for my Socket-A setup. I will apply it where the pad was on the heatsink. I know how to apply it in the good way. I've had a lot of practice lately. :cool:

I have the Crucial 256mb DIMMs set up in Dual Channel right now: 3.0-3-3-8 @200mhz, and the 512mb Wintec DIMM running 2.5-3-3-8 @200mhz. All are PC3200 DDR400 RAM. Do those timings sound right? It's what Everest is reporting. Can I overclock them? Are they already since I have the FSB running at 175mhz(x2) instead of 166mhz? The FSB "effective clock" listed on Everest is 352mhz.

The Wintec is a double sided DIMM. The Crucials are single sided.
take the wintec out and put everthing on auto and then check CPUZ.everst is fine too but cpuz is quicker. Righ now you are running under 400.
do above and then report the timing for 2x256.
do you have 2x512 wintec?

Ok. I have only the 2x256mb Crucial in right now. In CPU-Z, it is listed at 3-3-3-7. 175.4mhz. Channels = Dual. FSB:DRAM = 1:1 .. Is this good? Bad?

(On a side note, I'M sorry for seemingly hijacking this thread for a bit. If anyone is offended, just say so and I will take this to PM...)

ochungry said:
RazorClaw, SATA refers to serial ATA, as oppose to parallel ATA. It is the new hard drive w/ narrow cable and is faster than regular IDE hard drive. SATA is a little faster than old HDD w/ 1.5GB/s speed, but SATAII is @3.GB/s. It also suppose to be quieter.
Costs almost the same as Parallel HDD.

Thanks, I actually took the time to look it up yesterday after I posted this... I felt so silly for not knowing... and I guess this is the board for me since I was going to get a new HDD anyway... w00t

axess68 said:
Ok. I have only the 2x256mb Crucial in right now. In CPU-Z, it is listed at 3-3-3-7. 175.4mhz. Channels = Dual. FSB:DRAM = 1:1 .. Is this good? Bad?

(On a side note, I'M sorry for seemingly hijacking this thread for a bit. If anyone is offended, just say so and I will take this to PM...)
what cpu do you have and why do you have your cpu fsb lower than 200?

Back