• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New ASRock Motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ochungry said:
what cpu do you have and why do you have your cpu fsb lower than 200?

It's an AMD Athlon XP 2800+. It runs at 2083mhz default. I have it overclocked by changing the FSB to 175mhz in the BIOS. So, it is now running at nearly 2200mhz. In CPU-Z the FSB is reading at 175.4mhz and below it the "Bus Speed" is reading at 350.8mhz. Does that make any sense?

Should I change any of those memory timings to overclock them? Say change to 3-3-3-8 so that the DIMMS will run at 200mhz (according to CPU-Z)?

axess68 said:
It's an AMD Athlon XP 2800+. It runs at 2083mhz default. I have it overclocked by changing the FSB to 175mhz in the BIOS. So, it is now running at nearly 2200mhz. In CPU-Z the FSB is reading at 175.4mhz and below it the "Bus Speed" is reading at 350.8mhz. Does that make any sense?

Should I change any of those memory timings to overclock them? Say change to 3-3-3-8 so that the DIMMS will run at 200mhz (according to CPU-Z)?
Do you have Asrock SATA II mothereboard?

Yeah, I just got it today and will get an Athlon 64 3000+ in a couple weeks. These questions are for my A7N8X which I am running now. The memory timings will help me when I put them into the new ASRock Dual Sata2 Board I got today in a couple weeks.

This is very strange. I just bumped my CPU up to 180mhz (now running at 2255mhz) and it's running COOLER.(42c instead of 47c) :shrug: I don't get it!

I will try some stress testing with it. I wonder how far I could go up with an Athlon 2800+?

axess68 said:
Yeah, I just got it today and will get an Athlon 64 3000+ in a couple weeks. These questions are for my A7N8X which I am running now. The memory timings will help me when I put them into the new ASRock Dual Sata2 Board I got today in a couple weeks.
oh gee,
Ok, do what I said for new setup, and cant help you w/ your A7N8X. but basically you want to find your cpu limit in overclocking first.
You set the ram to lowest speed (100mhz or 133mhz) in bios and then start raising your cpu fsb little at the time. A64 fsb starts @ 200 mhzfsb. you can jump to 215-220 fsb since most cpu's will not need voltage increase there.
then go up 5 mhz at a time untill you cant post. herethen you turnoff comp, turn psu swithch off (rare switch, on most s939 mobo) and wait 3second and then turn the switch on press and hold "insert" key on you keyboard, then turn front panel switch on. this will take you to post, reapeat above in bios by going 5 mhz back and increase vcore .05-.075 v(50-75 mv). then if posts, go to window and do a superpi test. if not stable go back and add more volt. If you go over your ram speed (166/200*260=215>200) and wont post or beeps, then you have to back out cpu fsb, and start the ram limit.
check the overclocking stickies here and there are good instructions there.

Last edited:
Ok! Sounds good! MANY, MANY Thanks for all your help!! :D :D

I will monkey around and research. I mean, heck, I will only be running this board for another 2 weeks. Might as well see it's full potential before the changeover! :D

axess68 said:
This is very strange. I just bumped my CPU up to 180mhz (now running at 2255mhz) and it's running COOLER.(42c instead of 47c) :shrug: I don't get it!

I will try some stress testing with it. I wonder how far I could go up with an Athlon 2800+?
well because you took your other stick of ram out that also given you better oc ability

Re: backplate

I just ordered a XP-90 and was going to get a venice 3000 box and asrock, am I doomed since it doesn't have a backplate? I check heatsinkfactory (where I ordered the xp90) and they don't have the thermalright backplate. Does a box venice comes with a backplate that I can use? If not can you order the backplate directly from thermalright?

Thanks.

waver123 said:
Re: backplate

I just ordered a XP-90 and was going to get a venice 3000 box and asrock, am I doomed since it doesn't have a backplate? I check heatsinkfactory (where I ordered the xp90) and they don't have the thermalright backplate. Does a box venice comes with a backplate that I can use? If not can you order the backplate directly from thermalright?

Thanks.
my understanding is that the XP-90 comes w/ metal clips that should work.
Here is a discussion on this.

If by a back plate you mean the one under the motherboard then the answer is no. However, that should alredy be on your mobo for the mounting of the regular stock A64 heatsink. The xp90 comes with a plate that mounts on top of the mobo and attaches through the mobo to the backplate below. The clips that Ochungrey is refering to re for mounting the fans. There are a set for 80mm and a set for 92mm.

Hello rseven,
havn't seen you a while. how's been?
Cant you just build a backplate by cutting a plastic plate off a panel, lets say old printer cover, or paper tray? probably doing some drilling and improvising w/ plastic spacers.

I also read the spec on the XP-90 says little over 3/4 LB almost weighs as much as AMD stock HSF. From the picture looks easy installation and may not need brackets or backplate. It is not selling w/ backplate so it may not require it. Probably using plastic spacers/bridges would work. Anyway, when mobo arrives I am sure you will find out if backplate is required.
Here is a link for XP-90 and several others w/ good descriptions.

I was busy all day and only now had time to check this out. You can get a backplate at swiftech. It's listed on this page as"Hardware: AJ000264 - Backing plate for MCX6400-V™ Heatsink" The link is here.
http://www.swiftnets.com/
It cost only $2.87 and it is identical to the backplate on my msi mobo which my xp90 hooks up to. I have one of these that I ordered with my swiftech cooler, so I know for sure its the right one. You may want to look under your board and make sure there is nothing that it can short out. Also, the mounting holes are 3.5 inches apart from the center of one hole to the other. See if this matches up with your pushpin holes. (I would think it does but check to be sure)
Hi OCHungrey, I have been fine, just very busy. How are you doing?

My motherboard just arrived. After inspecting it I found no plastic pushpins, just regular metal screw holes for mounting. So I don't know if this is new or what was the deal on plastic pushpins. The board is sturdy and am sure will carry the weight of heavy CPU cooling units. Good news is that all 3300uF, 1500uF, and 1200uF capacitors are KZE, and KZG, 105c(centigrade), which are good caps. But there are some 1200/1000, 105c OST (RLP) caps that were among those that once (2years ago) had bad electrolyte. I am sure this problem does not exist anymore. No worries here.
Ok, time to go and install this baby. Will check back w/ results.

hello all, well decided to go with the Asrock myself, and over to the 939 64 3000+, i hope the performance benchmarks will be as good or better than the setup i have now, the athlon64 754 newcastle, and MSI k8t neo, and my 9550 radeon agp graphics card, already have a sata drive, and 1 gig of mem, this will be interesting to see, i will report back as well with the setup and overclock process,,,,,,,

Oh does anyone know if i will be able to use a backplate being i have an aftermarket hsf? thanks.....

amdextreme said:
Oh does anyone know if i will be able to use a backplate being i have an aftermarket hsf? thanks.....
There is a lot of discussion about this in this thread. Just scan up this page.

There is a lot of discussion about this in this thread. Just scan up this page.

yes i did, but i am still unclear, my concern is shorting out the mobo, with a backplate, i figure when i get the Asrock, i will have to see for myself, and i will definitely post it here on how it goes,,,

amdextreme said:
yes i did, but i am still unclear, my concern is shorting out the mobo, with a backplate, i figure when i get the Asrock, i will have to see for myself, and i will definitely post it here on how it goes,,,
I suspect it will be okay. That's not an area of a mobo where other things are mounted hence, there should be nothing to short. Maybe someone with a board not yet installed could post some pics of the bottom of the board?

amdextreme said:
hello all, well decided to go with the Asrock myself, and over to the 939 64 3000+, i hope the performance benchmarks will be as good or better than the setup i have now, the athlon64 754 newcastle, and MSI k8t neo, and my 9550 radeon agp graphics card, already have a sata drive, and 1 gig of mem, this will be interesting to see, i will report back as well with the setup and overclock process,,,,,,,

Well, first off, and most important.. If you want a good performance boost, then do away with that Radeon 9550 and get yourself into the 9800 Range. I, myself, went from a Radeon 9600se to an nVidia 6600GT. The leap was intense! I'm playing Half-Life 2 with top settings and no lag! I'm not sure what your financial situation is, but at least seriously considering upgrading that 9550.

As far as backplates go, I've seen some Heatsinks with plastic backplates (if you're worried about shorting out the board. I believe the Arctic Cooling one on newegg that I was looking at a week or so ago has a plastic backplate.

Last edited:
Back