• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New ASRock Motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LordDarik

Has anyone used the new ASRock Motherboard? If so, was it any good? Were you alright with the low, medium, and high voltage settings for the memory?

I'm planning on buying it for my new machine since I already have an x800 Pro I don't want to give up.

:welcome: to the Forum, Someaznguy.
There are going to be a few forum members with this board so some more comments shoud be in shortly. I would like to see this ULI chipset in a better brand of mobo.

I just ordered one today, with any hope i'll get enough time to get it all together and do a bit of testing by next week this time. I'll be shure to put a post up about it.

Hell, I'd say it's a steal if it can just boot up with everything installed! Especially for only $70. Anyway, how are the DRAM voltages of auto, normal, and high working for you?

karl pell said:
My feelings exactly ... get to play w/a 939 on the cheap!no problems so far w/the Corsair, but, remember, it's a very new build ... not pushing anything real hard. Anandtech's review anticipated a problem, but found none ... a lot of it, of course, will depend on the V requirements for your memory.
Well I'm lost likely going to get Crucial Ballistix and I don't think it requires anything above 2.9v, correct me if I'm wrong.

I got mine last week and it's decent so far. As karl stated, everything booted fine for me.
A64 3000 E6(doesn't like the low volts)
2GB Patriot 3200XBLK(4*512)
BFG 6800GT
Samsung 250GB SATAII
2 Optical drives
1 Floppy

I'll have to update my sig when I get home tonight. I'll also gather some info I've gleaned from the various forums I visit about this board and post it here.

One thing you definitely need is a backplate. I bought a Thermalright plate along with the XP-90.

There is also a volt mod for the CPU that allows a tad over 1.65v. A possible vDIMM mod is also planned. Not sure if that one will pan out but we can hope.

Can't say I had any issues with my floppy.

This is my first time running a SATA drive. So far this is faster than my 80GB 8MB WD drive. BF2 loads faster,though the extra 1GB of RAM I bought may have helped with that. SO far no problems.

An interesting side note. I have the Serillel that came with my NF-7S hooked up to my Maxtor 120GB drive and it's running fine on the SATA port. I checked out Abit's site and it said this:
Abit said:
* Note: Compatible with SATA controller of Silicon Image on motherboard only!
Seems it's compatible with ULI's southbridge as well. :santa:

Two more things to try in the BIOS to see if I get the performance up.

hdtach5ha.png

karl pell said:
Hey R7 ... how'd the firewire hook-up work out?
I still don't know. I don't think my brother has even tried it yet ad if he did he didn't tell me. I will have to ask him to test it. (Maybe I shouldn't cause if it doesn't work I'll have to fix it:))

Nice work on the ASRock, Fam Money. It's starting to look like a really nice bargain board.

There are now two different vcore and vdimm mods.

These first two(1vcore, 1vdimm) are from RHCF:
Link

The second vdimm is from OCW and may have came directly from ASRock:
Link

The second vcore from OCW:
Link

rseven said:
:welcome: to the Forum, Someaznguy.
There are going to be a few forum members with this board so some more comments shoud be in shortly. I would like to see this ULI chipset in a better brand of mobo.
I've heard of abit releasing some Mobo with ULI chipset onboard. But this will be no longer a price bargain i believe :p

boundrose said:
I've heard of abit releasing some Mobo with ULI chipset onboard. But this will be no longer a price bargain i believe :p
That's what many foks have been waiting to here. Thanks for the word. I would hope that it would also have more bios options for the extra cost.

so what type of fsb/htt are you folks experiencing with this board? How high are you able to overclock using the 1.2 bios? I'm seriously considering this board.

Awesome, I'm liking this board more and more as time goes by, looks like this is what I'm gonna' put in my first build. Thanks for the comments, especially karl pell.

Back