• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this my internal antenea?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wfarid

I just bought a MSI s260 shell and I wanted to extend the internal antenea, maybe do the pringles can mod on it. But i was just wondering if those two wires just hanging around were my internal antenea. Pic is below and sorry for the bad quality, i didnt have my digi cam handy, all i had was my camera phone. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Picture(22).jpg
    Picture(22).jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 193
it's really hard to see in that pic but if where they plug into the board there might be some writing next to the connectors that say Main and AUX or something to that effect.

my antennas are located inside my screen and they are basically a 2 inch long golden orange strip with a little circuit printed on them. there is 1 wire which come from each antenna and they are fed from the screen into the base of the laptop right at the hinge and then the wires plug into my mini pci WIFI card.

sorry for the crap pic, ill try to get my friends digi cam and repost, but one wire comes from one end of the mobo and im pretty sure it soldered on the mobo, i just can tell where. and the other wire comes from the other end of the mobo... I know most internal antenea are in the lcd, but i dunno if this one is. I'll look into it.

Those two wire are the antenna to your laptop's Wifi (or at least what I think is a laptop's Wifi, it is a little burry... lol)

Have you done any research into WiFi Antennae? If you haven't I suggest you do... If you have I suggest you do some more reading... Most antenae that are modded to do the pringles CANTENNA are from PCMCIA (or whatever that acronym is) Cards (so their antenna connector is external).

If you wanted to do a antenna mod you would have to make a port that could be accessed from outside your case (unless youwant to have a pringles can permenently mounted to you lappy)...

Secondly... a Pringles can cantenna is really not ideal for wifi (too narrow)... Try searching for Yagi antenna's and Helical antenna's (or just for cantenna's they usually have the best ease to build/performance ratio, however Yagi's and Helicals can look neat)...
I have a picture of teh antenna's I built but they seem to have eluded me. I'll post back when I find them...

yea i did some digging i dont have an internal wireless card, im going to get the Intel 2915 card (a,b,g)... The cool thing about this intel card is that i can switch between a anteneas, so i could switch between my internal and this pigtail im getting (mhf to rp sma female and then i'll have to get another cable that goes from male rp sma to male n). Yea i've looked into the cantenea and the pringles can mod and I've skimmed over the yagi antenna and helical antenna's but they seem to big for my taste...

btw would this antennea be better than a pringles antenea or a cantenea?
http://www.jefatech.com/product/MM24-5RD

Last edited:
Yeah... I was just about to get ya... I've looked into those before because my PalmOne Tungsten|C has a connector like that and I once considered getting it a pigtail so I could hook up a bigger antenna and go warWalking with it. LOL

EDIT: I GOTS TEH FIF STAR!!!1!!!oneone!!11

Last edited:
Oh... If you want to be able to get the HIGHEST signal strength, a directional (Can, Yagi, Helical) Antenna will do... If you want to be able to pick up APs from all directions get a Omni-Directional antenna (like the one you linked to, however there are ones you can build)...

If you want to show off a ghetto antenna, build your own. If you want something that looks like it was made in a factory, buy one. If you want something that looks custom made, build your own but put *alot* more time into it. I'll see if I can pull up some homebrew antenna sites (pretty much just searching around google).

Edit: I just looked at the price on that antenna you linked to... that looks like a pretty good deal... If you want to be more inconspicuous and want to use an external antenna that could be a possible choice...

PS.. Some wireless hardware that have multiple antennas use one for sending and receiveing signal and the other just for receiveing *or a combination*...

awesome, thanks you've been really helpful! btw since do you think my intel wifi card could supply enough juice to fully utilize that 7db antenna? if not do u think an amplifier of some sort is in order?

im thinking about buying that atenea from ebay, maybe i get just make my own reflector to increase directional signals. And I could always build a ghetto yagi as another option.

Last edited:
yes definately... amplifiers aren't really needed unless you want to boost the power of the signal you are sending (which you shouldn't need to be doing)...

Your welcome.
-g35

Back