• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to do with this celery

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cheator

So my friend upgraded her computer semi-recently. I got her old one. Here are the specs:

Celeron II 1.1 ghz (I think its a copermine core. I don't remember)
Stock CPU cooler
Gigabyte GA-6VXC7-4X S370 motherboard
768 PC133 memory
ASUS TNT2 video card

I have a bunch of questions for you guys :)

1. This sounds silly, but how do you take off the HSF? I have never done it with this core. Infact I never really owned a s370 board.

2. What kind of average temps should I be getting?

3. How much of an overclock should I expect to get?

4. Is it worth getting cooling for this thing?

5. What kind of applications would you guys use this thing for? Just a server? HTPC? etc? HTPC I know is out of the question :)

Unless you want to scrap this computer, i wouldnt recommend trying to remove the hsf. as to an overclock, id estimate somwhere around a 1.4-1.5ghz max... maybe a bit more if you are lucky.

Hello

Run a 7500 rpm fan to cool it. It would be noisy but you would be able to hit 1.5 ghz.
Mine was for a socket 370. I put it on my P4 3.06 and got 3.56 ghz on stock everything.

Fordman

Unless you want to scrap this computer, i wouldnt recommend trying to remove the hsf

1. I don't know why you say that. I had my hands on an old HP celeron 1.1GHz chip and and motherboard was dying. The HSF removed just like any socket A setup except that there's usually only 1 prong not 3. Be carefull because these are bare cores and can be crushed.

2. The temps I got with it with a very cheap socket A HSF (yes it fit) was high 30's full load. These things run very cool.

3. Not sure on this one. It's very motherboard dependent as well.

4. Like I said, these things run very cool. If you find you're temps are too hot, a very cheap socket A HSF will do.

5. I gave this setup with 512MB pc100ram to my sister who only uses it for word processing and email via dial up. It's perfect for that type of low demand use. Since it runs so cool, I used very quiet fans and this thing is silent. If you want a HTPC, you would need to get a hardware encoding tv tuner since that will take most of the stress off of the CPU. Hauppage only lists a Pentium 733 as minimum requirements for use with it's cards.

Cheator said:
So my friend upgraded her computer semi-recently. I got her old one. Here are the specs:

Celeron II 1.1 ghz (I think its a copermine core. I don't remember)
Stock CPU cooler
Gigabyte GA-6VXC7-4X S370 motherboard
768 PC133 memory
ASUS TNT2 video card

I have a bunch of questions for you guys :)

1. This sounds silly, but how do you take off the HSF? I have never done it with this core. Infact I never really owned a s370 board.

5. What kind of applications would you guys use this thing for? Just a server? HTPC? etc? HTPC I know is out of the question :)

1. look close at the HS, see the latch on one end ? its very basic, push it down and away from the socket (carefully)

2. temps - hmm dunno, been a while, 30s 40s something like that I think

3. 1.5? (if mobo permits and apg/pci lock present)

4. see temps first then decide, socket A hsfs will work most of the time if something

5. that's a decent machine, IMO you can do lots with it, Id use it as any other machine
or you can sell it (whole or by parts)

D

PS: open core warning: CPUs with open core are very easy to damage, while installing or removing a hsf be as careful as possible, don't push too hard, don't tilt, don't move it around

Cheator said:

1. There is a little strap that clips the heatsink down. Sometimes it's easier to take the fan off first. One side should have a little thumb tab, press down on that and it should pop off.

2. Try to keep temps down below low 40's.

3. Depends on whether this is a Coppermine or Tualatin. If it's a Coppermine, then it's already about maxed out and 1.2 gig is probably about average. If it's a Tualatin, then 1.5 gig is within reach depending on how well the mobo overclocks.

4. Cooling? I won't spend too much on it. Pull the heatsink off, clean it, reinstall with good thermal paste. Maybe add a cheap case fan or two and call it good.

5. It's probably a little slow to be used for a HTPC, but it's fast enough for lots of other uses.

Also, if you're using a screwdriver to grip the clip, be careful that it doesn't slip out and gouge the motherboard. I'd recommend placing a 3 x 5 notecard or business card between the mobo and socket if you can get one in there to help protect the mobo when you're removing the clip.

Also, the Coppermine core topped out at about 1 GHz. The good news is that you probably have a Tualatine core Celeron, which was a pretty decent overclocker. (.13u architecture, vs. .18u. Also, a bigger cache and much more decent performance than the Coppermine Celerons.) Have fun!! :) -- Paul

*edit*
Look here

I was off: most 1.1 GHz Celerons were Tualatin (.13u), but 2 revisions were Coppermines. And what batboy said was right: if it's a Coppermine, there's no way that you're going to get anything of an overclock out of it. (I used to overclock in the days of Coppermines, and I could never push my PIII 933 past 1 GHz. When I switched to a PIII 1.2 (Tualatin), I easily got it to 1.4 GHz or so, and a PIII 1.2-S hit 1.45 GHz with ease as well.)
*/edit*

Last edited:
Well thanks for your help guys. It is a copermine as I remember it. And its unfortunate. It won't even prime and I only overclocked it by about 100 mhz. IT also idles at like 52 C :\

I actually have experience with open cores. I have an Athlon XP and actually have owned like.. 7 of them I beleive. Not worried about that. But this friggin heatsink is a *****. What were they thinking when they designed it?

Oh and AGP/PCI lock isn't gona happen. This mobo is old and crappy. Still using switches to overclock it :).

Sorry to hear that!

You might consider underclocking it and using it as a low-power/low-noise file and print server, instead. ;) -- Paul

macklin01 said:
Also, if you're using a screwdriver to grip the clip, be careful that it doesn't slip out and gouge the motherboard. I'd recommend placing a 3 x 5 notecard or business card between the mobo and socket if you can get one in there to help protect the mobo when you're removing the clip.
I like using laminated student/library cards. Thin still, but stronger than just paper cards.

Well I am still having trouble with it. I am lifting p the green arm, pushing down on the blac one inderneath it, and pushing the black thing to the side. However it isn't going anywhere.

You might have to use a little tiny screwdriver to pry the clip out sideways as you press down on it with your finger. Some of those clips are very tight. As warned before, be very careful, I ruined a mobo once when a screwdriver slipped.

Back