• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone have a Turion laptop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xenocide

ive owned 2 centrinos already and i can't say i really loved them. im thinking about getting a compaq v2000z with a 1.6ghz 1mb cache turion.

i had a 700m and a v2000. i really like the 14.1' screen of the v2000 so i figure ill get the amd version of it.

only thing i dislike is how the extended battery makes the whole thing lean forwards..oh well'

just wanted to know what you thought of the turion over the centrino

Xenocide said:
ive owned 2 centrinos already and i can't say i really loved them. im thinking about getting a compaq v2000z with a 1.6ghz 1mb cache turion.

i had a 700m and a v2000. i really like the 14.1' screen of the v2000 so i figure ill get the amd version of it.

only thing i dislike is how the extended battery makes the whole thing lean forwards..oh well'

just wanted to know what you thought of the turion over the centrino

i know the turion out benched the centrino in some places, but they are vitually the same; even the coolers appear to be interchangable. At any rate, the turion looks very nice to me as well considering most turion notebooks have some sort of mobile ATI card as opposed to an intel integrated.

Anyways the only downside to the Turion that I can see is that you can't pin mod it; thats still eating me up cause I really want a turion (shopping right now). Maybe some one will find a way to exploit the chip.

Yup they are pretty close to dead even... I prefer the dothan over the turion because of the hidden features that most people don't know about... Like the pin mod for 33% boost and (usually) more powerful top end graphics cards. and also for other features like (low voltage) dual channell DDR2 ram and centrino wireless technology. plus dell only sells intel laptops and I really like Dell's top end systems.

Last edited:
ozzlo said:
Yup they are pretty close to dead even... I prefer the dothan over the turion because of the hidden features that most people don't know about... Like the pin mod for 33% boost and (usually) more powerful top end graphics cards. and also for other features like (low voltage) dual channell DDR2 ram and centrino wireless technology. plus dell only sells intel laptops and I really like Dell's top end systems.

on the flip side im looking at 12.1 Inch notebooks (preferably barebone; msi 1012, 1013) and all the intel books come with intel graphics, and all the Turion books come with x200 (X300) which benches higher than my old 5800 (overclocked to Ultra Speeds)

So in that perspective I could get in on some light gaming in my drom room (when i go to college in a few months) with the turion; but i'd be nice to have the pin mod from intel. So I'm kind of really bumbed; its a trade off either way; unless someone finds a 12.1 centriono with an x200.

^^^ just wait till Dell's next laptop line comes out.

Dell claims that the next gen of laptops they will be releasing will be ultra lightweight and be ultra portable and boast the peformance of an i9300... That's about all the information I have from the rumor mill over at the notebook forums... it will be very interesting when theese laptops are actually released winter 05 to early 06.

other that that you are pretty much right on that matter... all of the ultra portable pentium-m laptops have integrated... but have you even looked into intel's new integrated chipset? the've increased the integrated graphics from one pipe to 4 pipes and increased the clocks as well... Plus it has onboard dedicated memmory now and UBER POWERSAVING features... I would say that intel has come along way with their integrated graphics but they are still a bit behind.

Back